Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2011, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Member

New to Lawnsite

I'm a retired Navy Senior Chief who started working as an agreement writer on a local base after I retired. I started mowing lawns two years ago on the side to start building my business for a retirement job so I could have more time to hunt and fish, I also wanted to get out from behind a desk. Started with two lawns and by word of mouth I had 15 by the end of the first summer. Working full time it was pretty difficult but was able to buy my Western plow with mowing money in the fall. I offered discount plowing contracts to my mowing customers and picked up all the extra that I could on the side. Learned a lot the first season plowing and had a blast doing. Very good friend of mine has a couple of large commercial contracts and I was able to assist him and thank him for his patience with me trying to figure out what I was doing.

This year I got notified I was getting lay-ed off the end of August. Had a to decide to get a new job or go all in. I'm taking a huge pay hit but decided to do what I enjoy and that's being outside mowing and plowing. Already have all the equipment I need to get by and not any real overhead. I do need a large commercial grade mower, but going to have to get by with the Husky tractors for now until I get more established.

I am worried going into this winter knowing I have to add a lot more plowing and start advertising. I do have a plan in place and doing everything I can to stick to it. Plan on a table at the home show in the spring, decals for the trucks should be ready any day now and have plans to hit the radio airwaves and flyer's come the end of August for plowing and sanding.

Probably crazy but I'm going all in. My hat is off to all of you that built your businesses from the ground up. It is a lot more difficult than I anticipated and realized more time off was a pipe dream. I love reading all of your posts and have learned a ton already in a couple of weeks. Seafoam and Fluid Film for a start. Thank you all. Your ever in Alaska, look me up, I love to fish with anyone that wants to go.

1997 Ford F-250/w Western Wide Out
1995 Dodge Ram 2500/w Western 7'6" Pro Plus
1986 Ford F-250/w Western 2.5 yd Tornado
Fisher Tailgate Sander
2005 Ford F-150
1997 Ford Ranger
Scag Tiger Cub
Husqvarna RZ5424
Husqvarna YTH2148
Husqvarna YTH21K46
Honda HRX217HXA