Register free!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Help Identifying Weed/Grass

I apologize if this post is in the wrong location; however I am trying to identify two types of weeds in my yard for which I do not believe to be crabgrass that is already in my lawn.

First: There is a ton of this fast growing weed/grass in a portion of my lawn that I am renovating. It has strong roots and seems to grow in a bunch, I havenít identified creepers but it will grow straight out low to the ground almost sideways as well. The bottom of the stems/root area is whitish/purplish and the stems grow up tall to produce a 3 prong seed pod. There is no flowering, just seeds when it is fully grown within 5-7 days after mowing. I see a lot of this on the sides of roads that are un-mowed. Full height will nearly reach knees.

Photo 1: Yard is full of tall weeds; notice the crab grass in bottom right of photo: http://flic.kr/p/a84Byz

Photo 2: Up close : http://flic.kr/p/a84Byv

Second: I also have a weed that is growing in the healthy parts of the lawn. This weed/grass is lighter in color than the fescue and grows faster than surrounding grass. It has spread further into the lawn. I have also pulled this from the mulch beds when I see it growing there. I have not seen it produce any seed pods yet but would it be an immature version of above spreading into the yard?

Photo 1: In Lawn Ė left areas: http://flic.kr/p/a84Byn

Photo 2: Up Close: http://flic.kr/p/a84ByH

Thanks,
Old 07-29-2011, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Second is Nutsedge. First seedhead looks like Crab or Goose but I don't think it grows that tall.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Diesel: That is what is commonly know as Highway Grass. It's really Bahia Grass. Celsius will get most of it but will probably need two applications about 3 weeks apart.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, just looked up some Nutsedge images and forum links....looks like these guys can be a pain to deal with as well.

Regarding the first image and weeds from above, the plants are mostly stem/stalk and not leafy like the crabgrass and grows much taller than crabgrass.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Diesel: That is what is commonly know as Highway Grass. It's really Bahia Grass. Celsius will get most of it but will probably need two applications about 3 weeks apart.
Thank you! Since I am applying roundup this weekend to that area will that handle the problem? I have another thread outlining my plans to renovate that portion of the yard.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your turf? Roundup will kill your grass as well as the weeds. Seems a little drastic.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
What is your turf? Roundup will kill your grass as well as the weeds. Seems a little drastic.
My turf is fescue, however the area with the bahia grass outbreak is spotty lawn and most of this is crabgrass and the nasty bahia grass. There may be 10% tall fescue in this area 5 yards inwards from the street (corner lot). 70% of the lawn was sodded with fescue 3 years ago, the areas not sodded near the street are horrible and what I plan to rennovate by areating and using a slit seeder in several weeks.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind Round-Up won't kill the nutsedge.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Keep in mind Round-Up won't kill the nutsedge.
Got it. Thanks for the reply. The area of the lawn where the nutsedge is growing/creeping into is actually a nicer area of the lawn that I don't plan to kill off. Which doesn't help because the products I've read about that can treat nutsedge will also kill off tall fescue grass. I purchased some sledgehammer today and hope that can do the trick but it will have to wait until after I reseed the lawn and get that growing....would it be OK to use in November? Or just wait to use it in April when the nutsedge returns after Winter?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Use the Sedgehammer now...and again in two weeks. Again if needed. Be sure to include soap to help wet the nutsedge better. Do not mow for two days before treatment and two days after. If any survives, the nutsedge will resprout from deep creeping roots and "nutlets" next year when the temperature hits about 80 degrees. Treat it early in the season when it is young, and before the tall plants can send food to the roots.

Tags
identify , weeds