Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2003, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Try the truth

Tell him the truth.

"That guy came over here and asked me to give him a price because he wanted his lawn to look like this one. I gave him a price but it must have been too high because you got the job instead. There is no 'one specific thing' I do to this yard to make it look good. There are a million factors in this business and my experience tells me when to do certain things and how to react to different circumstances. You don't want to stand here while I conduct a 4-year lecture in turf maintenace do you?"
Old 05-11-2003, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm with 4-Leaf

great advice

Obviously you are doing extra to keep your customers lawn in good condition

These services will cost extra ,which the guy accross the road did not want to pay for.

If you tell the truth to the lco accross the road he will be able to educate the neighbor on how much it actually costs to maintain a quality job-(justifying your prevous price also)

who knows the guy might come across the road and give you the job

knowledge and education to both existing and future customers cannot be a bad for your business

(Also it is good that you are putting the extra effort into your work, it defines what your business is about and separates you from the guys who just go into lawn maintenance who "buy themselves a job")
Old 05-11-2003, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a couple thoughts.................

- The individual caring for that property now most likely does not know that he under-bid YOU to get it............ he gave his price and got the job..... that's all he knows.

- Why not re-approach the customer and ask if he's considered changing services since the property has not been improved by the current LCO? Perhaps he will now be open to a little more education on why his property still does not look better than it did before.
There's nothing to lose here except a few minutes of time. Maybe make up a small flier explaining your experience and services and leave it with him.

If you feel "wrong" about stepping on the other LCO's toes, I gotta say this........ I'm a newbie, and if I cant provide the service a customer needs, and they go to someone else who can, I deserve to lose that customer........... No hard feelings to someone who provides a better service than I could (my fault, not theirs)!

Lazer Z/HP 23HP Kawi, 52"
Ultra-Vac
Scag 48"/14HP Kohler Belt Drive WB
Stihl FS85r Trimmer
RedMax EB7000 BP Blower
ECHO PB750-T BP Blower
Little Wonder 8hp Blower
Echo CS3000 Chainsaw
6'6" x 12' open Trailer.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd be more than happy to share some advice with with an LCO in my area. If you make an enemy out of a newbie thats just makes tham want to screw you out of whatever they can. Share some info and stay on good terms with them and they will go out of their way not to compete with you in the future.

There is more than enough business to go around in my area---having a friendly network of LCO's saves alot of stress.