Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2011, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

tonneau covers and gas mileage for pick ups

I was wondering if anyone knew if tonneau covers help with fuel economy. I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 2500 with the 6.0L engine. Great engine and truck but sucks fuel like crazy. I was thinking about putting on a tonneau cover to save some gas if it actually works.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

i have one on my ranger. can't say i noticed a big difference but then again i don't do any highway driving really. they are nice for leaving stuff in the bed of your truck without people or weather bothering it though. i also recommend either a folding or hinged one if you plan on taking it on and off alot. i have the roll up one and it sucks having to take it all apart and it will be replaced with a folding one when it goes.

GM Trucks
Belmont Trailers
Gravely
Honda
Stihl
GiantVac
Lesco
Ryan
Permagreen
Old 07-30-2011, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've been looking into purchasing a Bak Flip tonneau cover for my 2500 HD and do plan on ordering one in the next few weeks. The Bak Flip seems to get great reviews but is quite expensive, about $950. My whole desire to purchase a tonneau cover is to be able to keep equipment in my bed without having to worry about it being stolen or being out in the elements.

The whole argument of tonneau covers increasing fuel economy is extremely controversial. Some owners have found that a tonneau cover has increased their truck's fuel economy while others have not found no difference. I've only heard of minimal fuel economy gains (1 mpg or so at best) but those findings were all from 1/2 truck owners.

To me, the convenience of being able to use my truck bed in all weather and conditions for storage is well worth the price of a Bak Flip. If I happen to have an increase in fuel economy, then that's just a plus, but I'm not expecting anything.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 07-30-2011, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If your driving lawn to lawn the added weight will negate the aerodynamic gain and the cost of the cover will never be made back in fuel savings. However it would be nice, at times, to have a covered bed. Other times, it would be terrible.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have a folding tonneau that came with my 2500HD and i couldnt stand it. i only used it in the winter cause throughtout the other seasons i have stake side on my truck fr hauling stuff and the tonneau covers the stake pockets. in the winter its a pain to open and close it everytime i wanna get a shovel out and i gotta leave it part way open to fit blowers and such...also if you dont shovel/sweep it off after it stops snowing it doesnt fold up too well cause there snow stuck between the parts of it. if anyone wants to buy it let me know
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader