Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2010, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I finally got my renovation done!

Sprayed with gly...

Set the tiller depth to remove about 95% of the grass trying to leave as much of the topsoil as possible.

The skid steer then skimmed the old grass off & loaded it into the dump truck. Took 6 loads of grass out of here.

Ran the harley rake and then the rockhound. 13 hours start to finish. I used Sunstar Bermuda recommended by the guy at Lesco. It's considered a medium grade bermuda. Has a pretty fine blade to it. From what I can see so far I think it's going to look very good.

Mixed the seed with sand & then used a push spreader to spread it. I have a spreader for the tractor but I wanted the soil loose for the seed & was afraid I'd compact it too much driving over it.

Lol....my poor man's irrigation system. I had 13 sprinklers out there. I'd run them 1 at a time for about 30 minutes twice a day. Opted not to use straw this time either....

The seed was spread on 6/5. Had germination 6 days later. Couple more pics...

These last 2 photos were taken this afternoon. I still have a few areas that need some attention but over all I'm very pleased. Still fertilizing & cutting every 3 days.

Once again.....thanks to all for your input! Scott
Old 06-28-2010, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Last pic looks sweeet!

Everyone take note this is the result you get if you take the time and effort to do it right.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Very impressive, avguy. I have a question, probably a dumb one, but a question nonetheless. Why scrap the old grass off with the skid steer and remove it? Why couldn't you just leave it or else burn it off before tilling?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My question is: How can a spring seeding work at all!??!!!? Doesn't that just grow weeds? shouldn't you have pre-m out as soon as things start to green??!!?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahammer View Post
Very impressive, avguy. I have a question, probably a dumb one, but a question nonetheless. Why scrap the old grass off with the skid steer and remove it? Why couldn't you just leave it or else burn it off before tilling?
We didn't till the soil as it was too large of an area for me. After removing the old grass we went over the area with a rockhound & then a harley rake. The front lawn at the beginning of this thread was completely tilled & the existing grass/weeds were just buried. That worked as well. Thanks for the comments!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avguy View Post
We didn't till the soil as it was too large of an area for me. After removing the old grass we went over the area with a rockhound & then a harley rake. The front lawn at the beginning of this thread was completely tilled & the existing grass/weeds were just buried. That worked as well. Thanks for the comments!
Ahh, I see, was just too much for the little tractor and tiller, gotcha. I have around 4 acres here and when I built the house I "attempted" seeding bermuda on an area around the house probably about an acre in size. But I didn't have anywhere near as good results as what you got. I keep telling myself that I'm going to redo it and do it right this time, but I haven't yet.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lol....it wasn't too much for the little tractor, it was too much for little me I'd already brought in top soil, tilled and then drug a 14k sqft area in the front previously. I knew how much work that was which is why I took a different route for the back & brought in the skid steer. I spent several days working on the front & knocked out the back in one day.

Have you had a soil test done? If not you should. My soil was very very poor & I spent a couple years amending the soil before I even tried to seed.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have made a concentrated effort this year to hype Bermuda yards. People were getting tired of replacing sod every year from frost and other ills that plague SA varieties. The newer Bermuda strains are easy to establish, can be patched with seed and can be over seeded with annual rye for year round color in the summer climates.Easy to keep weed free. Bermuda's bad rap needs to be laid to rest. Good luck with the wedding plans. The lawn was a piece of cake compared to those.

Nice pool BTW.

Last edited by Patriot Services; 08-02-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
My question is: How can a spring seeding work at all!??!!!? Doesn't that just grow weeds? shouldn't you have pre-m out as soon as things start to green??!!?
Bermuda is one of those grasses that will germinate from April to September down here. Heat, water and fert just makes it expolde. I mow my personal yard 3 times a week right now. It rains and grows an inch in a day. Bermuda is almost self weeding when its healthy and cut to proper height. Weeds dont like the short and frequent cutting requirements.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Patriot thanks for the comments! Wedding was 2 years ago & went great!
My 1st preference was a cool season blue grass mix but after the drought like conditions we've had the past couple of years I'm ecstatic that I switched to the Bermuda instead. Like you, I feed my 2 acres monthly & cut every 3 days....if I wait 4 days it's almost too much to cut. I used Sunstar Bermuda seed which is considered a medium grade seed but it really looks good. Absolutely could not have done it with out the help of many on this board.