Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2011, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sevin works really well if you can puff the dust directly into the nest hole, provided it's a single-hole nest. It'll stick to all the bodies and any insects returning will pick it up also.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-31-2011, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The wife feeds well over 20 hummingbirds and the feeders attract the wasp, ants, etc. We live well over 600 feet into the woods by a pond, with an open 2 acres, surrounded by woods. You name it and it is back here with us. I think something a little more then wasp spray could be used here. Thanks again for the thoughts and opinions.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Ric,

I know that most of us knows the homeopathic use of products containing ammonia to eliminate the stinging effects of wasp and hornet stings......not forgetting bee stings once the stinger and internal gland is removed from the injection site is normal.
I just want to say--" (From the view point of a licensed RN here at a local hospital with 25 years of experience--looked at me funny when I mentioned the use of such a ointment!" ) She said-" Who in the world told you of such idiotic methods of sting remediation?"

Anyway--No sense arguing with a Board Certified Nurse on a short subject that isn't worth the spit over.

I just wanted to add this to this thread................sorry didn't mean to high jack the intentions of the original poster.
Ammonia is not a homeopathic remedy for stings (homeopathic formulas contain pretty much nothing more than water, holistic remedies are another story). It is well known to neutralize the toxins in many kinds of stings (it is also frequently used on jellyfish stings).
There is a product called "Afterbite" that contains a much stronger form of ammonia, in gel form (so it stays in place). It comes in a convenient tube too.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx14 View Post
The wife feeds well over 20 hummingbirds and the feeders attract the wasp, ants, etc. We live well over 600 feet into the woods by a pond, with an open 2 acres, surrounded by woods. You name it and it is back here with us. I think something a little more then wasp spray could be used here. Thanks again for the thoughts and opinions.
Z

Good Luck. Sounds like you need a Crop Duster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
Ammonia is not a homeopathic remedy for stings (homeopathic formulas contain pretty much nothing more than water, holistic remedies are another story). It is well known to neutralize the toxins in many kinds of stings (it is also frequently used on jellyfish stings).
There is a product called "Afterbite" that contains a much stronger form of ammonia, in gel form (so it stays in place). It comes in a convenient tube too.

Rlitman

I am not into the difference between Homeopathic Vs Holistic medicine but ammonia is both an Astringent and Oxidizer. The Astringent part helps to remove the toxin while Oxidation is what neutralizes the Toxin. I recommend Parsons Suddying Ammonia because the detergent or soap works like a herbicide sticker and keep the AI of ammonia on the sting wetter longer or the same theory as the After bite gel. Besides House Hold Ammonia can be found in just about every home.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not into homeopathy or holistic medicine, but some "home remedies" really work.
I'd read that the ammonia acts as a base, neutralizing the formic acid in the sting.
Whatever it is, ammonia helps my stings and bites.