Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-02-2011, 01:42 AM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 8,043
Effectiveness of Certainty on Nutsedge

Anyone use Certainty to treat nutsedge? If so, what is your opinion?
Reason I ask is I have a bottle, and would rather not buy another expensive product for the nutsedge if I can just backpack Certainty on some patches of the stuff.

Thx
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
2013 Gravely Pro Turn 260 with Kohler 26.5 EFI
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-02-2011, 03:13 AM
greendoctor greendoctor is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 7,436
Its great stuff on nutsedge. However, it can only be used on Kentucky Blue. All other cool season grasses are suppressed and eventually removed. Even on KBG, the rate used is 1/4 what I can apply to warm season grasses. Spot treatment is probably not a good idea unless you have the means to make the amount applied per spot equivalent to the per acre rate.
__________________
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Its great stuff on nutsedge. However, it can only be used on Kentucky Blue. All other cool season grasses are suppressed and eventually removed. Even on KBG, the rate used is 1/4 what I can apply to warm season grasses. Spot treatment is probably not a good idea unless you have the means to make the amount applied per spot equivalent to the per acre rate.
Green

I believe there was a Disscussion about Spot Vs Blanket treatment for Sedge control. If I remember correctly we both said Blanket was the only way.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-02-2011, 12:05 PM
gregory gregory is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: southwest florida
Posts: 1,061
just got done blanket my acre yard a few weeks ago stuff works great...takes longer then dismiss...
__________________
The Internet lets you be anything you wannabe except smart. Your stupidity will always come out.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-02-2011, 02:18 PM
greendoctor greendoctor is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 7,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
just got done blanket my acre yard a few weeks ago stuff works great...takes longer then dismiss...
On warm season grasses, Certainty applied broadcast is one of the safest applications. Even in hot weather.

Ric, I had to add that bit about spot treatment because I understand the conventions of weed control in the cool season area. Notice the OP is from the Midwest. If cost were an issue and yellow nutsedge were the problem, my next move would be Basagran applied broadcast. I have the misfortune of having only purple nutsedge. In some yards, that stuff comes up so thick that it looks like it was planted as the lawn. The unqualified people will actually go around spot treating a yard like this with Sedgehammer. When I have a lawn like this to clean up, the walking boom treats 1000 sq ft per minute. No drift and almost research quality precision of application. Weapons of choice are either Image or Certainty depending on what other weeds are present.
__________________
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
On warm season grasses, Certainty applied broadcast is one of the safest applications. Even in hot weather.

Ric, I had to add that bit about spot treatment because I understand the conventions of weed control in the cool season area. Notice the OP is from the Midwest. If cost were an issue and yellow nutsedge were the problem, my next move would be Basagran applied broadcast. I have the misfortune of having only purple nutsedge. In some yards, that stuff comes up so thick that it looks like it was planted as the lawn. The unqualified people will actually go around spot treating a yard like this with Sedgehammer. When I have a lawn like this to clean up, the walking boom treats 1000 sq ft per minute. No drift and almost research quality precision of application. Weapons of choice are either Image or Certainty depending on what other weeds are present.

Green

While I studied Cool Season turf in College, I could care less about it. I am very happy in the Subtropics and have no desire to leave.

BTW I would Love to seen a picture and the specs of your walking boom. I recently purchased a 14 megapixel camera for only $ 120.00 tax title and License plate out the door with the over curb guarantee. But only after I first went cheap with the Wally World $ 10.00 special that made wonderful garbage. However I didn't purchase the camera for Lawnsite, I got it because of my son's Engagement Party.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-02-2011, 04:26 PM
greendoctor greendoctor is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 7,436
Ric, the pictures of that boom + regulation unit are posted in a previous thread a while back. That is the one that everyone was making fun of because it was not a Chemlawn gun. It consists of Teejet QJ17560A-1/2 nozzle bodies clamped onto SCH 80 PVC pipe at 20" spacings. My normal tip for applying to lawns at 1 gallon per 1000 is an AI 11004 tip. For lawns under 10,000 sq ft, I usually run it with the engine drive backpack sprayers. Why contaminate my skid sprayer when I do not have to.
__________________
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 PM.

Page generated in 0.08661 seconds with 9 queries