Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-02-2011, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnguy27 View Post
I'm thinking about replacing my Toro Timecutter with a Grandstand. I would like to have some reviews on the Grandstand. The main thing is how it handles on hills. If some people would please give me a review on how you like yours that would be greatly appreciated. If you have any pictures of the cut and/or your Grandstand that would be great too. Thanks!
sorry no pictures but i LOVE my toro grandstand. besides demoing units the only mower i have to compare it to was my exmark tthp that it replaced.

i did demo most of the stand on mowers on the market though and the grandstand was the one for me.

it has a large platform for your feet. i found the other units have small "slots" your feet are suppose to set in. the adjustable HOC works great for me. i love the adjustable baffle as well. the machine handles very well and cuts awesome.

as for handling hills i have no problems what so ever.

the only thing i would change on the grandstand is the deck isn't a true floating deck. the engine is attached to the deck and goes up and down with the deck. so it's more of a fixed deck machine.

keep in mind my review is of the 09 model. they did make some changes after that. i was offered the changes but saw no need for them. the only change i made was to the parking brake and due to a hydro leak i now have the new hydro settings which removed the "speed lever". but i know the newer units have some spring assembly to make changing heights even easier and i think i was told they did something to the gas tank. they also supposedly did something to the throttle i think as well making it go much faster in reverse. but again i didn't do any of those updates.

my motto has always been if it aint broke don't fix it. so i'm only doing the updates if needed. and i needed the parking brake update. and as i said i had a hydro leak so i think they just replaced everything doing the update to fix the leak. but i have no problems raising and lower the deck and i don't find the gas tank update or throttle update necessary either.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

So... Depending on the weight of the operator, this mower can be an advantage or disadvantage on hills.

In every other circumstance though (other than weight on the turf) I prefer the GS. Superb cutting and speed combo. Much more power to the deck than the wbs ive used, though I've never had bigger than a 16 hp on my wbs. Would be interesting to compare w larger motored wb's.
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

I've come to the same conclusion, I'm a lightweight so I have a hard time on hills. But other than that, it cuts and performs great.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin-Z View Post
Does anyone have experience with the 36" Toro Grandstand? Any issues with cut quality or tire ruts?
we own one, cut is sweet as all the turbo force decks cut and the tires are the widest on any 36in machine giving it the least rutting ability of them, the wright stander is the worst with very narrow tires
Old 08-02-2011, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Haven't been on one but keep looking at the 36" Vantage at my dealer. He loves it but agrees it is hard to replace a 36" turf tracer hp. If you had a lot of big sloped yards it would rock. My 48" Grandstand is great on my commercial end and on some of my large residentials. I think the 36 stander has a place mostly on big residential yards.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2011, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

BIG? resi yards for a 36? mistype?

anyways, it is more stable on the slopes than our 36 wright stander.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
BIG? resi yards for a 36? mistype?

anyways, it is more stable on the slopes than our 36 wright stander.
Funny I was thinking the same thing, my 40" is no where big enough for large stuff.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

The stand-on style mowers made by both Toro and Exmark are more productive due to more power and speed than most 36" midsize mowers. Therefore, they would be great for HIGH END large residentials. Not everyone wants a 60" z on their manicured zoysia turf. Just sayin. 36" decks offer superb cut quality with less scalping (things u already know) For other large residentials obviously you could use a much larger decked mower. these 36 standers are fairly light and not all that expensive too. Sorry I should have clarified, my post does look a little ridiculous now lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerfb View Post
Haven't been on one but keep looking at the 36" Vantage at my dealer. He loves it but agrees it is hard to replace a 36" turf tracer hp. If you had a lot of big sloped yards it would rock. My 48" Grandstand is great on my commercial end and on some of my large residentials. I think the 36 stander has a place mostly on big residential yards.
Posted via Mobile Device
i'm still not sure i understand how it is hard to replace a 36" exmark tthp with a 36" grandstand.

i'd love to ditch my 36" exmark metro and get a 36" grandstand but the ONLY thing holding me back is the price of the 36" grandstand. i only use the 36" currently on 2 backyards each week. no reason to spend that much money on 2 backyards when the metro is working fine.

as for quality of cut between a 36" deck and anything larger. i don't think there much is difference if any. i've heard people make that statement before like a 36" deck's cut is superior to say a 52" or 60" deck.

side by side my 36" deck cuts every bit as good as my 52" deck does. and there is no more chance of me scalping my properties with the 52" deck than when i strictly used the 36" deck.

purhaps it's late or i'm missing something cause i really don't follow the logic in those statements.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

You would if you'd ever used that 52 on the wrong slope. Not to mention, the Metro is a piece compared to the turf tracer. Not the same mower at all. What kind of grass are you talking ab too, makes a huge difference. Perfection is quite different than finishing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2011, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I just picked up a used 2010 grandstand. What are the differences between the '10 and'11 and does the '10 need the updates?

Tags
grandstand , hill , picture , review , toro