Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2011, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Cub Cadet Z Force 54

I'm looking to enter in the ZTR class low-end commercial mower market with a Cub Cadet Z Force 54 http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/s...600002_1209604

I have about an acre of grass to mow weekly and I'm looking to replace a Craftsman LT2000 and cut my mowing time from 2 hours to under an hour. I'd like to purchase a mower that, with proper maintenance, will last quite a few years. I have a dealer less than 2 miles away that sells Toro commercial and Cub Cadet commercial. MTD corporate is 10 miles up the road from me and they build these about 30 mins from me in Streetsboro.

Anyone have a Cub Cadet commercial ZTR that would wish to comment on their experience owning one and thought/regrets about the Cub Cadet commercial line? I am trying to decide between the 48 and the 54.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Did you buy the Cub Cadet? I am looking at one as well for hill side use and an acre. Any and all responses would be great.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Did you buy the Cub Cadet? I am looking at one as well for hill side use and an acre. Any and all responses would be great.
I'm curious. Have you ever used the search feature on this site? I ask because you've been a member for close to 10 years and there's been hundreds of CC threads posted.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
I'm curious. Have you ever used the search feature on this site? I ask because you've been a member for close to 10 years and there's been hundreds of CC threads posted.
Yes, I have used the search feature on this site. I am looking for info on the NEW Cub cadet Z force S which has the synchro (front wheel turn, back power hydro change speed) and the Kohler Command V-twin engine. I did not find anything on it. Do you have an links or posts that you can refer me to too?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry I don't. You might find more info on them in the home owner threads. They aren't really a commercial mower.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
Sorry I don't. You might find more info on them in the home owner threads. They aren't really a commercial mower.
Well this series is at least sold as a commerical. The straight z force s with the courage engine and light duyt pumps is a home ower version.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Well this series is at least sold as a commerical. The straight z force s with the courage engine and light duyt pumps is a home ower version.
look at reviews on the gizmow as that is basically what your looking at. They hold up a lot better then expected with all of the moving parts.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If it is a Cub, and NOT a Tank series machine, it is trash. As a former Cub dealer I can not recommend any Cub products due to the horrible quality control at the factory, as well as the poor design of most of their machines.
You would be better off looking elsewhere for an entry level commercial machine. Almost all manufacturers offer these lower cost commercial machines now.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I used to own a Z Force. Biggest complaint I have is with the deck. It is light steel. I always needed to set it high so the deck wheels wouldn't make contact with the ground. If they did, while turning the force of the turn on the welded deck connections would snap them. Had to have it welded back on several times. In less than 300 hours of use I went through 2 spindles even with regular greasing. Parts are easy to come by on line as it is an MTD product but who wants to be working on their equipment so often? I've now have a Scag Tiger Cat and it is a monster compared to the Cub.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies, any suggestions for which ztr to use on slopes of 15 degrees or a little more and pulling a leaf vac trailer? That is why I looked at the cub. For the front wheel turn and the hydro slows on the new z-force s. Suppose to be more stable and not rip the turf like the std ztr's The ztr that I have now is hard to handle with the leaf trailer on it, other than that it works fine. i would like to find a nice end a year deal or demo to save a little cash as well.

Tags
commercial , cub cadet , purchase , ztr