Register free!

Old 08-03-2011, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Yea .... cause a pigtail makes or breaks a system, but a highly efficient nozzle is just useless bling.
What is this "bling" you children speak of?
Old 08-03-2011, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
my reply is "if you want to impress me, take your eye out"................... we all breath the same air mitch
Jim, it will be tommorow, had a electrical call from hell and didnt make it.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i just made a 100 mile turnaround to look at a "friends" pool. known the guy since he was 16, he's doing well right now and is a limited partner with one of my best friends.

long story short, he calls while i'm on the way home and tells me that he got phone prices from 2 other companies and the low price was less than $2600 and that included a pool sweep, i told him to go with that company.

i feel insulted that he resorted to this form of price shopping and abused our "friendship" in this manner.

nobody else has visited the site, done any testing or made any inspections of the structure.

the equipment that he wants is around $2000 my cost, the main drain is clogged, the water level is just below the top of the light (indicative of a niche leak) the slide needs re plumbed, the pad will need enlargement, the in-ground plumbing is 1.5" instead of of 2", the main drain is plugged
as is the suction line between the backwards plumbed suction lines...my list goes on and on.

on top of all of the mentioned items, the pool will require an anti entrapment drain retrofit to be VGB compliant and no contractor or service company will work on the pool without the retrofit, "it's the law"

all of the trades are being degraded by both the state of the economy and the general opinion of the public vs "blue collar" individuals.

the oldtimers say that if it was easy everyone could do it
Old 08-03-2011, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Jim, it will be tommorow, had a electrical call from hell and didnt make it.
you do repair work in hell? i do underground and underwater work but i don't get near the quality of clients that you do.

cool, i thank you again steve.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Had a guy call today needing a leak fixed near or below the sidewalk. Wanted a price. I told him my x-ray vision was on the fritz and I can't see what was broken below ground, so I can't give him a price. Since we have to use a shovel, the meter starts when we get there. I gave him my prices. he then said that a handyman service gave him a very high price to replace the two pipes all along the sidewalk. I explained they were probably wasting his money by replacing the whole piping, and we could just fix the pipe that is broken.

Ended with a "I'll call you back if we need you".
Old 08-03-2011, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Had a guy call today needing a leak fixed near or below the sidewalk. Wanted a price. I told him my x-ray vision was on the fritz and I can't see what was broken below ground, so I can't give him a price. Since we have to use a shovel, the meter starts when we get there. I gave him my prices. he then said that a handyman service gave him a very high price to replace the two pipes all along the sidewalk. I explained they were probably wasting his money by replacing the whole piping, and we could just fix the pipe that is broken.

Ended with a "I'll call you back if we need you".
i got one of those from a property mgmt/reality company last week, rude on top of that.

i am toooooo busy doing something to answer that call.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I love it when someone calls, asks my rates, I quote our rates, and then I hear the smug chuckle and get something along the lines of "you're not my guy then", Click. Glad I weeded them out early.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
I love it when someone calls, asks my rates, I quote our rates, and then I hear the smug chuckle and get something along the lines of "you're not my guy then", Click. Glad I weeded them out early.
Oh no....didn't you get a memo? As a small business owner you're not allowed to make money. As a matter of fact if you do you're just greedy! How can you expect Bob and Susie homeowner to make the payments on their his and her's matching BMW 5 series if you charge what's fair?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Start asking them what their budget is or how much they want to spend so you can burst out laughing.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
Oh no....didn't you get a memo? As a small business owner you're not allowed to make money. As a matter of fact if you do you're just greedy! How can you expect Bob and Susie homeowner to make the payments on their his and her's matching BMW 5 series if you charge what's fair?
I like the ones that say "oh my gosh, I don't even make that much." Really lady, because NEITHER DO I! There is a lot of overhead that gets paid from that way before I get paid.