Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2011, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecapt View Post
between 1 & 3.5' deep at the deepest, in ground with EPDM, fish load perhaps 15 or so.

I guess I'm just a little surprised that people in THIS economy will pay 25-30K for a relatively small pond. Especially when contractors generally hire local illegals who will dig for a whole day non stop for about $150.00.

I guess what I should do is hire those same people and I put it together myself with them doing the labor.
Sir not all contractors hire local illegals. Go ahead and build it and see how it turns out if you have the answers already.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

We'll I thank you all for your input. Judging by the more recent responses, I'm amazed at the classy people we have on this board.

Thanks again!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
We'll I thank you all for your input. Judging by the more recent responses, I'm amazed at the classy people we have on this board.

Thanks again!
I hate to break it to you but they are just trying to be honest with you man.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

He comes on here and bad mouths contractors on a contractors site and now he wants to talk about class. lol Free learning experience to all the new guys around here and a nice reminder to the vets. There will be people out there that you are just better off walking away from.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
I can appreciate your concerns.

Even though the economy is bad, it has had no affect on material costs. In fact, costs for most items involved in pond construction (pump, skimmer, filters etc.) have risen this past year.

Additionally, the excavation stage of a pond of any type is the easiest part of the total process. Anybody can dig a hole. What is done with that hole to create a properly functioning healthy environment for aquatic life requires a goodly amount of knowledge AND experience. This is, along with material costs, what you are ultimately paying for.
I second this and add: Anyone can roll boulders but will the boulders stay in place. It's also the artistry, the attention to detail, the understanding of filtration, sizing.

If you have the "shovel and a pickup" guys do your work, ask yourself will they come back when you have problems? AND what happens if someone gets hurt on the job! Do "they" have insurance? If not, you, the homeowner, WILL pay their bill.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I have interviewed a number of pond builders. Most seem resistant to bottom drains. I want my pond set up a certain way. 2 bottom drains with a diverter to allow for a skimmer as well a vortex filter leading to a bead filter. Without going into much detail, it seems everyone here on Long Island wants to build a pond that requires drainage and clean out every year. I know very well that is not what I want. I am too old (bad back) to do it myself or I would.
I would like to hear from anyone who has had some experience with qualified and reasonably priced Long Island builders
I'm a reputable pond builder here on long island. I've been installing water features for 6yrs now. I"m not sold on the bottom drain though. I use the Aquascape eco system with no problems. I have lazy and older age customers that have minimal maintenance involved with this systems. I'm a Certified Aquascape Contractor as well. Check out my thread on this forum http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=297545 my website is also shown in my signature. If your interested in having me come out to check out your property, private message me, and i'll send u my info. Im based out of Hauppauge NY. *** I also don't hire illegals, and i'm on the job everyday.***
Old 03-31-2011, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I doubt if the OP is keeping current with this thread anymore, Twitchy. Send him a PM. He may not respond, but at least he will be more likely to get your info.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:40 AM
LawnSite Member

real ponds and pond builders

I got a good chuckle out of this thread. It reminds me that we each have our own perspective of reality. The original poster's perception of a real pond is far from my concept of a real pond. His perception of real pond builders is closer to what many of us might call Santa Claus.

I am reminded of a recent call from woodstock vt. The gentleman wanted us to send someone from our lake placid, ny location to look at his proposed pond site for free. We were suppose to be so honored by his request that we would gladly drive the 7 hour round trip at no charge. As I was quickly exiting the phone conversation, I was torn between laughing him off the phone and wanting to reach through the phone line to give this "gentleman" a dose of reality. In any case, it is said that it takes all kinds to make the world go around. Thankfully most of us have learned we don't need this sort of client. It's pretty easy to see why people have rejected his offer. In the end, real ponds cost real money.