Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-03-2011, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
I like the ones that say "oh my gosh, I don't even make that much." Really lady, because NEITHER DO I! There is a lot of overhead that gets paid from that way before I get paid.
People are generally clueless as to what it costs to run a business. I was having a casual conversation with a newer client the other day about the economy and what things cost and I mentioned that our fuel bill is about $8K a month. His jaw dropped. Then I told him what all our insurance costs per month and that payroll was $35K every two weeks. I think I made an impression.... I think he understands why we have to charge what we charge now. Some people get it, others never will even if you were to hand over your financial statements!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This a little bit of a different topic bit related. Who of the other types of contractors have the least respect for irrigation? What I mean is when other trades are working around irrigation system who damages them them the most and doesn't even care. I feel that it is the septic guys who just f__k things up and bury it without marking or telling any one. Like today I go to the job where the cesspool caved in when I was pulling pipe, they filled another old pool and in the process broke a head off the end of a lateral line and buried the pipe 3' down in the sand so the water wouldn't even surface. These guys knew the system was brand new and it wasn't even wired and they just don't care.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2011, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

in one sense, septic guys have free rein to destroy any irrigation, because nothing in a sprinkler system should be touching a septic field
Old 08-04-2011, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
in one sense, septic guys have free rein to destroy any irrigation, because nothing in a sprinkler system should be touching a septic field
what is the thinking there? just curious. But they sill destroy it even when installing new septic in a new area of the property. Last year they put in some big precast dry wells and left some cut pipes buried heading down in the dirt and spread new soil on top. I had the zone running for about 15 min trying to find the break when i take a step on the new soil and sink to my ass in quick mud. It was perfectly dry on top but 4' of muddy top soil under the surface.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pipes in a field can be a violation, and who checks anyway. Besides, some fields are large enough to be almost impossible to cover from outside.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I gathered that it might be a violation but what is the theory behind it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2011, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Known toxicity, I imagine. But codes I follow are already assuming all of outdoors is toxic, so what the hey.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
I gathered that it might be a violation but what is the theory behind it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Theory is a stuck zone can fill a field to capacity. Its like everything in this country. Out of 300 million Americans , it happened once or twice so we must need regulation.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Theory is a stuck zone can fill a field to capacity. Its like everything in this country. Out of 300 million Americans , it happened once or twice so we must need regulation.
What about rain? I think septic systems are different here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2011, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen codes written that grouped together "sewage and/or lethal substances" (air break only permitted) - so caution around septic fields isn't a big surprise. But try to follow that rule and cover the lawn properly.....