Register free!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's the expectation that the new grade is a normal event, and that subsequent necessary sprinkler changes are part of the system guarantee that bugs me.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
" if I had the ability to see whats going to break in the future do you realy think I would be working in the effing mud"?
I always get asked "when is the first freeze coming so I can shut my system off?" or "when is the last frost so I can start my system up?"
My answer is the same as yours Steve, If I could predict the weather, I wouldn't be working on your sprinkler system.

Are you sure that we are not brothers? We think alike, prefer the same sports teams, and even our companies are similar.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
Not me, it's always the sprinkler guy's fault.
About 2 hours ago I left a job where the home owner who is very nice and hot by the way, told me that the landscaper told her it was my fault that the sod died where hetold me a 10' wide walk way from the drive to the house was going to be built. I guess he didn't have time to build it and she was tired of looking a dirt he just threw down so sod for now but never told me. She was understanding but why the hell can't people own up to there own mistakes?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2011, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
Not in this biz.

Just got off the phone with an irate customer. From his description it's a maxi-paw that quit rotating and, according to him, I missed it during spring start up. Said his grass is dying. Wants me to repair at no cost to him.

Most understand that a 20 year old system is bound to have failures but some think spring start up will ensure a trouble free system all summer and if a problem arises, it's my fault and I should come back and repair for free.

I tried to explain it to him how it is but he didn't get it and remained pissed off. "Will, you just lost my service and I have no problem losing PITA customers. I turn down more new customers that are closer and have newer systems".
Yup your lazy a$$ slipped ....... So suck it up.........
Old 08-05-2011, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpsystems View Post
Yup your lazy a$$ slipped ....... So suck it up.........
It could have failed AFTER the OP performed the spring start-up.

But If the customer was insisting I would replace it.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My favorite is when you get the call from a customer that had you come fix one 4" pop up and is now blaming us for lack of coverage.

Me- "Ma'am we just replaced one head with exactly what you had to begin with. You said you didn't want a full system check, and you weren't going to pay for any other services. If you would like a tech to come back out and do a full system check it is X amount of dollars."

Lady- "Your going to charge me to come back out and look at my system???"

Me- "Well you get what you pay for, and if you ain't payin' we ain't workin'.

Lady-"Well I've Never........."

Me- "Now you have."
Old 08-05-2011, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Gotta love it.. I love that I can tell someone in the nicest way in this line of business they they are wrong and I am right. Sometimes they don't get it though

Had a lady with a uncommon system that can be ran from a pump from a lake or city water. She's been running her system on city water since may and had us come out to repair a few items.

When we winterize pump systems we always disconnect the pump wire at the controller so the pump won't fry when there isn't water in it.

The lady insisted that the pump was running the entire time when with the city water on.. I told her and showed her the wire disconnected.. Saying unless you came here and connected it up, and then disconnected it by the time I got here.. That pump won't run ( All wiring is sound, nothing is wrong) but she didn't believe me.. She said she could here it! After beating around the bush for 20 minutes I just said I don't have an answer for you to why it was on with it not hooked up.. Crazy lady lol
Old 08-05-2011, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
My favorite is when you get the call from a customer that had you come fix one 4" pop up and is now blaming us for lack of coverage.

Me- "Ma'am we just replaced one head with exactly what you had to begin with. You said you didn't want a full system check, and you weren't going to pay for any other services. If you would like a tech to come back out and do a full system check it is X amount of dollars."

Lady- "Your going to charge me to come back out and look at my system???"

Me- "Well you get what you pay for, and if you ain't payin' we ain't workin'.

Lady-"Well I've Never........."

Me- "Now you have."
damn

I know business is business
but ahhh when I repair a single head and that's my sole reason to be there .. I'll still make sure the zone is working properly and has good coverage.. if not I'll make suggestions . Only takes a few minutes and it makes you not look incompetent to the customer. Id rather do that then have the client call and complain. Then again we have a min charge of one hour to come out
Old 08-05-2011, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The customer is rarely right!
Old 08-05-2011, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
damn

I know business is business
but ahhh when I repair a single head and that's my sole reason to be there .. I'll still make sure the zone is working properly and has good coverage.. if not I'll make suggestions . Only takes a few minutes and it makes you not look incompetent to the customer. Id rather do that then have the client call and complain. Then again we have a min charge of one hour to come out
Anytime after july 1st we do a mid season inspection on all calls. If for nothing else then to sell more.