Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2011, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
... celebration beer anyone?
Way ahead of you man!
Well done on the landing, hopefully the installs go well! Good luck!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm sure things are different in ATL (i know it's sandier than here) but you're sounding a bit optimistic on the time front. I'd plan on being there 2 weeks, if this is you first higher end project you need to go in understanding that the quality must be much higher than what you see done on strip developments. I'm not knocking you in any way just looking out for ya.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

this aint my first rodeo

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So what convinced them to go with you? You haven't showed them a plan or priced it right? We have had people take a plan we put together and go get bids and knock us out.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
So what convinced them to go with you? You haven't showed them a plan or priced it right? We have had people take a plan we put together and go get bids and knock us out.

Ouch! that would suck! I think I would get something in writing before I presented or even drew up a plan?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Ouch! that would suck! I think I would get something in writing before I presented or even drew up a plan?
What if they want you to do it then when you price it out, they feel it's more then what they want to spend? How would you get them to sign something when they haven't been given a price? How would you word it? I can't see anyone signing a contract that was one sided and forces them to have the work done regardless of price.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

cant wait to see pics!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I charge $100 for a plan and deduct it off the price of the job if they go with me. I used to do them for nothing but I would not get the job fairly frequently when I gave them the price, they would shop my plan to other landscapers who wouldn't have a clue otherwise. I would drive by peoples houses and see my design being installed by another company.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I thought the same thing but it sounds like he knows what is going in there though. For instance he knows 400 plants 8 trees the size of the patio, probably the size of the walkway. Might all just need to be put on paper for something to go by on the install and for the homeowners but with the information he has he could probably give a price...not sure it's a guess because I was thinking the same thing as you. Kind of backwards but I have done it this way before. One reason is to give them the option of colors on the patio.....I will put in a few colors that they have it narrowed down to so they can choose and what not.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
I charge $100 for a plan and deduct it off the price of the job if they go with me. I used to do them for nothing but I would not get the job fairly frequently when I gave them the price, they would shop my plan to other landscapers who wouldn't have a clue otherwise. I would drive by peoples houses and see my design being installed by another company.
Yea, That's something You could do, and if you present the plan say on the computer, that way they wouldn't have a hard copy of your plan to shop with. The only way they get a hard copy is if they go with you. Just give then a very generic plan in the beginning then when they sign the contract you can do a detailed final version.