Register free!

Old 08-06-2011, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonslawnmanagement View Post
Andy,
I'm in 7a and all we do is shut off the main and turn the clock off. No need to blowout or any of that crap because no frost line here. I charge a flat rate of $75-100 to start up and shut down. Basically, we go through each zone to ensure heads run properly and fix any issues. Cake..
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you for a serious response. I appreciate it when this forum is used for what it was created for.

When I'm on here working, I don't have much extra time for play--I'm trying to make more profits from my current clients now.

I appreciate any relevant input and the occasional laugh.

Do you insulate the back-flow or shut-off when you turn off or just turn it off? In the spring do you run all zones and check arcs and functionality?

Thanks

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 08-06-2011, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I think most worries in that climate would relate to backflow preventers. Water remaining in above-ground plumbing will freeze just as hard as it will a thousand miles further north.
Are you suggesting to insulate the backflow? Thanks for talking business with me.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyslawncare View Post
Are you suggesting to insulate the backflow? Thanks for talking business with me.
For starters, you follow the manufacturer instructions on winterizing backflow preventers.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
For starters, you follow the manufacturer instructions on winterizing backflow preventers.
Let's say... the backflow doesn't exist or the unit is aged and manufacture can not be distinguished. What if I'm using a pump without a back flow....? That's not what I asked. TECHNIQUES/SERVICES/ETC.

Wet Boots, I feel it pretty darn rude to first off make me ask you to be serious about the subject matter, and again by having to question your vague comments.

My question was fairly simple... "What is your technique to winterize an irrigation system"?

...manufacture instructions were not in question, and most of my maintenance accounts did not have it installed by my business. I asked for more information from your vague answer to help answer my original question. WHAT IS YOUR TECHNIQUE? Please only comment if you are willing to state your technique and your area. Any other information is far away from my question. I'm looking for techniques and inclusive serves items only. I live In zone 7--work in the transition between A and B. I'm trying to just compare everyone technique and what is included. I don't care for a price because I'm well aware of my own prices; services are in question.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is absolutely nothing vague about "follow manufacturer instructions" ~ if you got an RPZ in a system you care for, you take on some or all of the responsibility for its surviving the winter undamaged. Anyone with tens of thousands of dollars worth of backflow preventers in their care does well to winterize them according to mfr instructions.

If that is more than you can handle, then someone else should do the work, and take the responsibility, and the service income.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am completely able to handle, take responsibility, and all of the income... but this still isn't what I asked. I've done research, gotten a college degree in horticulture, invested $100,000, and have several systems fixed and installed that provide good coverage and water usage... I'm not an amateur Wet Boots I know what I'm doing and I know where I'll be in the next 10 years. I'm looking to compare several informative posts about what a business owner provides a client during the winter to help the system last longer. This way I can be more competitive and informative in the marketplace. I'm trying to learn more every day and you put it down instead of answer questions. I'm done with you Wet Boots. Never comment on my posts again unless you actually look at the initial question. You could have just stated your technique in 200 words or less, but you decided to make multiple posts so that you can get out our your 30,000+ post numbers. Its kind of sad; either answer questions, or leave the forum.

You're winters are a lot colder than ours too, and soil softer during spring and summer--you probably only pull pipe. How about this Wet Boots, just don't post any more posts that don't answer my question and keep to your zone when questions also state their zones. Things are different state to state and I'll never work in your area.

How damn hard is it to state your technique and what you do?

This industry is screwed if people don't share information.

You have a young EDUCATED dude asking a question, and you say everything except for your answer to the question. Market research is a nation wide task (your input could be beneficial to more than just me, this post may be read 4 or more years from now, and people are going to see how unwilling you are to provide good information--that is if your still alive or working in the business based on the old school soundtracks you posted first), and you tell me even more of how NYC folks are nothing complete D*cks and A holes. Thanks for wasting my time on my keyboard Wet Boots. You know, your not the only one with wet boots...don't act like the king, because there is no king here.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Andy, wet boots may be a bit vague but the response about the manufacturers recomedation is a valid one. Insulating a backflow won't do anything if you don't have a heat source like heat tape. You would be better off draining it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2011, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
Andy, wet boots may be a bit vague but the response about the manufacturers recomedation is a valid one. Insulating a backflow won't do anything if you don't have a heat source like heat tape. You would be better off draining it.
Posted via Mobile Device
best method to drain a system?

Old 08-07-2011, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How much ya looking to sell the aerator for?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why the hell should anyone here do someone else's legwork? If you know the make and models of the above-ground backflow preventers being dealt with, the mfr instructions can be found online. Read through them and find what's being done for winterization.

(I swear, these children)