Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2011, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
tiny grade like that top dress with some decent soil and hydro seed with a good mix that contains at least 20/25% annual rye for fast stability. Smarten up guys a retaining wall for that location is unjustified.

thats a 3 hour job with a skid, materials and a hydro seeder. 4 hours max 700.00 / 800.00 done.

Yea the grade is really not that steep. But that is what I am thinking. Just topsoil with seed. I think that would really get it stable. The only place that is washing out is where just dirt is. The grass section is fine.

I have to agree with you here. I see no reason for a retaining wall. That why I mentioned just seeding it. But wanted some opinions on what I need to do to address the red clay.

Yea I would have to rent a skid, and as far as a hydro seeder is it really necessary? Cant I just throw the seed down and rake it around slightly and straw the area?

And here a few more pictures. Maybe give better idea how steep it is. I was kneeling down taking the pictures.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mxrider52; 08-07-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I believe Bermuda will grow in Tenn. So you might try Bermuda as a perennial turf along with a Rye or millet as a quick fix. I am not sure if Perennial Peanuts grow in your area but they are great for hills, both eroision control and maintenances. Perennial peanuts grow low to the ground and can be mowed or weed eaten once maybe twice a year.
I agree on Bermudagrass. Getting a little late for it though, so some annual ryegrass to stabilize until the spring. That's not that steep a hill, so should not be a problem.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I personally would not do anything aside from sod.

Sod and lots of water. Easy.

RIP SFC Hall, SGT Forest, CPL Pautsch.I will never forget you guys!

I am the Infantry! Follow me!
Old 08-07-2011, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Before you do anything take a soil test to see why the grass that is growing is so sparse. Ad what the soil test determines is needed then ad good topsoil, starter fertilizer, seed and then roll the seed into the soil for good contact. Do not use straw unless you use a straw blanket and tack it down or better yet use Curlex plastic erosion control blanket.
16' Landscape trailer
2008 Toro Z500
2007 Toro 21" commercial
2007 Toro 40" commercial
2008 Craftsman 33"
2008 Bluebird S22
2009 Pluger 400
And a whole lotta other stuff
Old 08-07-2011, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post

Sod may be easy but from the size it may be cost prohibitive and if the soil is poor the sod will die out anyway. That's why you take a soil test.
16' Landscape trailer
2008 Toro Z500
2007 Toro 21" commercial
2007 Toro 40" commercial
2008 Craftsman 33"
2008 Bluebird S22
2009 Pluger 400
Old 08-07-2011, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

by the looks of the pic i'd say u'd need 6-8 tons of topsoil to cover the area that looks bad and also use a quick grow seed like a rye and mix it with a decent grade seed. you shouldn't have any more problems after the new grass comes in.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
I agree on Bermudagrass. Getting a little late for it though, so some annual ryegrass to stabilize until the spring. That's not that steep a hill, so should not be a problem.
Yea Bermuda is getting a little late so it wouldnt work. Seems Ryegrass will be about the best solution. Yea the hill is not steep. I can put my rider on it so I dont know why people keep saying retaining wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post

As someone else said I think sod would cost way too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpro724 View Post
Before you do anything take a soil test to see why the grass that is growing is so sparse. Ad what the soil test determines is needed then ad good topsoil, starter fertilizer, seed and then roll the seed into the soil for good contact. Do not use straw unless you use a straw blanket and tack it down or better yet use Curlex plastic erosion control blanket.

Yea ill check into doing a soil test. It just hard around here to get grass to grow in red clay. What do you mean by roll the seed into the soil?

What is curlex plastic erosion control blanket? Is it pricey?
Old 08-07-2011, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
by the looks of the pic i'd say u'd need 6-8 tons of topsoil to cover the area that looks bad and also use a quick grow seed like a rye and mix it with a decent grade seed. you shouldn't have any more problems after the new grass comes in.
Yea I guess it would make a difference if I told you the area I am working with. The property only runs to the top of the hill or barely over.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxrider52 View Post
Yea Bermuda is getting a little late so it wouldnt work. Seems Ryegrass will be about the best solution. Yea the hill is not steep. I can put my rider on it so I dont know why people keep saying retaining wall.

As someone else said I think sod would cost way too much.

Yea ill check into doing a soil test. It just hard around here to get grass to grow in red clay. What do you mean by roll the seed into the soil?

What is curlex plastic erosion control blanket? Is it pricey?
Curlex erosion control blanket is a green plastic biodegradable blanket for erosion control on slopes its available at www.amleo.com . Rolling the seed into the soil with roller helps insure great seed to soil contact for near perfect germination. Use the best seed you can find. Apply seed with a broadcast spreader then roll the area for great seed to soil contact.
16' Landscape trailer
2008 Toro Z500
2007 Toro 21" commercial
2007 Toro 40" commercial
2008 Craftsman 33"
2008 Bluebird S22
2009 Pluger 400
Old 08-07-2011, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpro724 View Post
Sod may be easy but from the size it may be cost prohibitive and if the soil is poor the sod will die out anyway. That's why you take a soil test.
I completely agree with testing the soil. Like others have said, I would add topsoil or bedding mix (topsoil, compost, manure, 10% sand) and then sod.

There are multiple options, this is just what I would do if it were my job. If the customer wanted it seeded, I would not guarantee it.

RIP SFC Hall, SGT Forest, CPL Pautsch.I will never forget you guys!

I am the Infantry! Follow me!