Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-07-2011, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Again, my short walls are set in concrete and type S mortar.

This wall was intended to look like a dry stack wall. The mortar is on the back 2/3rds of each course. If any mortar is showing, then I use a wire or point-tuck trowel to remove any mortar showing.

Notice the bags of concrete and mortar sitting on a tarp and pallet in one of the photos.

Take a close look and you might see mortar in my joints.

Name:  MetzF2b.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  397.6 KB

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't worry that the freeze and thaw is going to crack and heave that wall?

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 08-08-2011, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
You don't worry that the freeze and thaw is going to crack and heave that wall?
Possibly, but considering that a dry stacked wall would have failed pretty easily, that it should last a long time before that happens. That and the re-bar should help hold it fairly level.

That and the way I look at it, natural stone has a rough appearance, and even if sections of it move, it should still look good.

And, that wall was installed a couple of years ago, and it's still holding strong.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Crazy, Crazy year.

Basically plenty of work. The biz hasn't shot off like a rocket but steadily and consistently keeps growing, and considering the state of the economy, I can still look back on this season with a positive attitude.

Hired a guy, then laid him off. . But I've got more work for him over the next couple of weeks. He is a Navy Reservist that has seen ground action in the Middle East. He was stationed in Kuwait so he didn't complain about the heat we worked through during the summer.

He can't find a real job. It's a shame as he a very talented and dedicated individual. Not only is he a physically capable guy, he is also a graphic artist. So having someone like him that has an artistic appreciation really fits in. As a reservists, I can't believe he hasn't really found a full time job, but it makes me wonder if the uncertainties of hiring someone who could be deployed again and has his duty to his country that they don't want to take the risk to hire him. Basically in essence, they probably already feel like he has a job already.

Been doing a lot of thinking on how to really ramp up production for next year. I really want to be able to keep the new guy on as much as possible and be able to pay him his worth and give him the hours he needs. I already have about 6 good to great mulch jobs (part of my 2 year mulch cycle, just happens they fall on the same year), a patio and a minor install. I just want to make sure the latter half of the season has enough work for us.

So in a nutshell, no rain means no rain days to post on my thread. Hopefully I'll be able to post photos that I've randomly taken over the past season as I get a bit of free time.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Crazy, Crazy year.

Basically plenty of work. The biz hasn't shot off like a rocket but steadily and consistently keeps growing, and considering the state of the economy, I can still look back on this season with a positive attitude.

Hired a guy, then laid him off. . But I've got more work for him over the next couple of weeks. He is a Navy Reservist that has seen ground action in the Middle East. He was stationed in Kuwait so he didn't complain about the heat we worked through during the summer.

He can't find a real job. It's a shame as he a very talented and dedicated individual. Not only is he a physically capable guy, he is also a graphic artist. So having someone like him that has an artistic appreciation really fits in. As a reservists, I can't believe he hasn't really found a full time job, but it makes me wonder if the uncertainties of hiring someone who could be deployed again and has his duty to his country that they don't want to take the risk to hire him. Basically in essence, they probably already feel like he has a job already.

Been doing a lot of thinking on how to really ramp up production for next year. I really want to be able to keep the new guy on as much as possible and be able to pay him his worth and give him the hours he needs. I already have about 6 good to great mulch jobs (part of my 2 year mulch cycle, just happens they fall on the same year), a patio and a minor install. I just want to make sure the latter half of the season has enough work for us.

So in a nutshell, no rain means no rain days to post on my thread. Hopefully I'll be able to post photos that I've randomly taken over the past season as I get a bit of free time.
If obama's job bill goes through you'll get a tax credit for hiring a vet. It is pretty sad out there being a reservist, I should know, even when I came home from Iraq back in 2005 it was hard to even get my old job back. I can see where your coming from with not looking to hire a reservist to the fact they could be moblized and your a small company. I think alot of the reason was I suffered PTSD from being a 0311 Rifleman, the company must have thought I was going to chain all the doors shut and burn that mother F*&#^ down. You need people there that will be there, and it is a gamble that they could be moblized. The thing about reservist's is their weekends are scheduled, moblization orders are given 30-90 days out. There shouldn't be a big fear of hiring reserverists.

I hope that cleared things up a bit.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

To clarify, I have absolutely no problems hiring a reservist. I've even stated to this guy that if he ever gets deployed again, he will always have a job with me as long as I can pay him.

Basically I was just rationally thinking out-loud why other companies wouldn't hire a reservist.

As for tax credits, it don't matter, but sure would be nice. I'm pretty sure that there is credits out there already for new-hires in general. I'll have to talk with my accountant at the end of the year and see how that works.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
To clarify, I have absolutely no problems hiring a reservist. I've even stated to this guy that if he ever gets deployed again, he will always have a job with me as long as I can pay him.

Basically I was just rationally thinking out-loud why other companies wouldn't hire a reservist.

As for tax credits, it don't matter, but sure would be nice. I'm pretty sure that there is credits out there already for new-hires in general. I'll have to talk with my accountant at the end of the year and see how that works.

I wasn't dogging on you questioning on hiring a reservist, just sharing my story on trying to get hired. Actually you can get a award from the ESGR from it.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
I wasn't dogging on you questioning on hiring a reservist, just sharing my story on trying to get hired. Actually you can get a award from the ESGR from it.
Oh I know you weren't. It just sounded like you took my post as me thinking why I wouldn't hire a reservist, and I was just empathizing with other business owners as I can't understand why they wouldn't.

Soldiers, full time, part time, reservists, etc.... deserve full respect. These are the people out protecting our freedoms and way of life, so I have no qualms or reservations about hiring anyone in the armed forces.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hi Everyone!

Been a while. I've been mostly on PlowSite and taking advantage of the light winter to take it easy and spend time with the family.

Hope everyone is off to an early start this year. I've been doing nothing but estimates and designs the last two weeks. Not to mention Taxes!

Nick

Old 02-18-2012, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've even been avoiding PlowSite... That's how depressing Winter has been. I have 8 hours in the truck salting this year.

How many times have you been out?

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite