Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: Does a mowing truck increase exposure?
The mowing truck increased exposure to clients and increased jobs. 11 52.38%
Didn't notice an increase in customers. 10 47.62%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2011, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Mowing truck or new trailer??

I'm either going to buy an Isuzu type mowing truck or a larger trailer. My question is whether any of you guys that have upgraded from a trailer to a dedicated mowing truck have noticed an increase in people calling for you to mow/landscape for them?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

well I dont have a bigger truck just pickups BUT the entire tailgate of trailer is covered and that seemed to do the most for me
Old 10-23-2011, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerRidge View Post
I'm either going to buy an Isuzu type mowing truck or a larger trailer. My question is whether any of you guys that have upgraded from a trailer to a dedicated mowing truck have noticed an increase in people calling for you to mow/landscape for them?
I wouldnt look at it of an advertizing ploy. I would look at it as a long term investment for your business.

What would you rather have, two vehicles to have maintenance on, two insurance payments, two trucks to fill at the end of the week, two sets of tires to replace. Or would you rather have a longer trailer and pay for a little more gas each week.

I would recommend getting a 18ft HD trailer like the Bigtex bobcat trailer with mesh, heavy duty gate, 10k capacity, and 1 foot sides. Then spend a couple hundred dollars and get a sign to put on the back ot the trailer gate and advertise your business there.

One other thing to think about is if you are going to grow and have a crew working for you. It would be nice to get the NPR so you can have that as a work truck and your f250 as a estimating/mulch/personal vehicle.

I just purchased a dump truck this year for a work truck and you never realize how much trucks cost to operate/fill up/ and maintain until you have them. If you find a killer deal on an NPR i would get that, but i wouldnt spend more than 8 grand on one.

Insured and Licensed
Old 11-03-2011, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks DLONG. Thats what I was looking for. I do have a crew working for me and right now they are using a personal vehicle. Hopefully within the next year I will be trying to start a 2nd crew also.