Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-03-2011, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeleafllc View Post
Have you ever used a hooklift on a construction site? Not a SWG a real hooklift...It is so much easier to load a can on the ground and unload stone when the can is at ground level..It is just an easier way of doing things.. Just try a hooklift for a day in a real world app and you will never go back..
I have watched another company in town that have them and I don't think it's worth it nor could I ever justify it for me. Especially if you don't have the extra cans/bodies for it. I'm not saying they are bad but just don't see how it would help how I do things. The contractor box can carry pallets or bulk materials and then pull the skid or mini on the trailer, the trailer is also not a problem here. As for landscape rock, I run that thru the rocks door. I talked with my upfitter at length on the hooks and in a 550 size truck especially the extra weight and load height(and lets be honest extra money) take away the positives. To me when it comes down to moving material you can not beat a regular dump truck for that.

Last edited by stuvecorp; 08-03-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow Im just drooling over all these switch and go's and hooklifts.... think im going to have my kodiak switched over. maybe i can keep my dump bed and just make some slight mods to it so it can be used as a switch and go.

Are switch and go's better than hooklifts????? better as in safer?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

picture of mine.. 2007 ford f-750
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2011, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttin-to-the-Max View Post
Wow Im just drooling over all these switch and go's and hooklifts.... think im going to have my kodiak switched over. maybe i can keep my dump bed and just make some slight mods to it so it can be used as a switch and go.

Are switch and go's better than hooklifts????? better as in safer?
Switch n go does sell a frame that you could take your dump body and take the dump hoist off and mount it to the frame.

The difference between switch n go and hook lift is that the hooklift is faster as switch n go used a winch to pull the body on where the hook lift is an arm so you don't have to get out to hook up. On the flip side hook lift costs more and weighs more. Switch n go is more suited for the 26K and under gvw trucks and for operations that are no making a lot of changes every day.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUSWEDE View Post
On the flip side hook lift costs more and weighs more. Switch n go is more suited for the 26K and under gvw trucks and for operations that are no making a lot of changes every day.
So, if you are a smaller business with less volume, and you wanted to utilize a switch out system, would the switch and go be the better choice for say, an entry level system?

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
So, if you are a smaller business with less volume, and you wanted to utilize a switch out system, would the switch and go be the better choice for say, an entry level system?

I would say yes. I see the hooklift more for dedicated dumpster business where your making more switches per day and need to do it faster.

The switch n go is a good system to start out with and I think it is at a good price point. The 14' hoist frame and 14' (17yard) drop box were the same price as the Iroquois 9' (3-5 yard) dump body on my f550.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Basically from what I'm reading from hook lift owners is if you've got multiple landscaping crews and high production, then the hook lift is the way to go.

I missed out on an F-450 a couple of years ago with a hook-lift system. Had a dump body and V-box, and I still wish I would have purchased that truck just for the system alone.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i'd say if you have a dumpster business a hook lift is great. as a traditional landscape crew you'd be better w/ the sng because of the cost. you're not going to be setting the body down more that 5 times a day. we got ours mostly for the ability to have a mowing bed/ mulch & trimming bed and a leaf body all on one truck. We love the SNG system. oh the pic is to show you something you can't do w/ a mason dump, I wish i had put this system on my f750
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2011, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As a S-N-G owner I would say you have all made great points on both systems. After almost four years of owning the system my only regret is that I did not price the full hydraulic S-N-G option at the time of my purchase. I encourage you to do so as I often wonder if the speed of the hydraulic winch is faster at loading than the electric hoist.
I would also encourage you to purchase the medium duty containers and avoid the light duty version. My medium duty cans have held up very well. Hooklift or SNG......you will be pleased with your decision on a interchange body system.....Good Luck!

Kubota KX121-3
E-Z Screen 500XL
Isuzu FRR w/Switch-n-Go
John Deere CT 322
Turbo Turf 300E hydroseeder
Harley Mx8H
FFC Preparator
Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstSvcs View Post
After almost four years of owning the system my only regret is that I did not price the full hydraulic S-N-G option at the time of my purchase.
The full hydraulic is the same price as the electric over hydraulic, but you will need to have central hydraulics which quoted for my F650 was 6k for parts and install. But on the flip side you can always convert the eletric over to hydro pretty easily if you ever put central hyrdos in.

I am a smaller company compared to the rest who have the system but for me the versatility was the nice thing and being able to have it to the ground. My 650 had a 14" grain body before and was the same size as a sng drop box but was a pain to load from the ground because the sides were so high so everything went through the barn doors so loading brush sucked. Now I can get the body on the ground and makes life easier loading espicalling loading in with a wheel barrel.

Also the pain in the past was setting the truck up for leaves in the fall with the leaf box and then having to waste time taking off the box to do a dirt job the next day. Now I can set a drop box up for leaves and then easily drop that and pick up the dump bed and use that. Makes my life easier and saves me time. Defintely worth it in my mind.