Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-11-2011, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

That pic in the first post is for a swimming pool. Dual pumps, gas heater, Pentair cartridge filter, what looks like a chlorinator, and motorized 3 way valves, probably aqualink controls.

If that is for a pond, i hope its a dang big one with that kind of pumping power and equipment.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
That pic in the first post is for a swimming pool. Dual pumps, gas heater, Pentair cartridge filter, what looks like a chlorinator, and motorized 3 way valves, probably aqualink controls.

If that is for a pond, i hope its a dang big one with that kind of pumping power and equipment.
After looking at it again, I do believe that you are right, Stebs. Even for a swimming pool that seems a much.

The pic that I posted is definitely for a Koi pond. Still overkill!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the clarification stebs. That pool plumbing looks crowded but it also looks logical. That koi pond plumbing looks like a homeowner special and not very well thought out. But i don't know. Do you need all that for a koi pond ? I am betting that a pro job would look a little different. I am a big fan of manifolds of any type. So please tell me what i am looking at.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
Thanks for the clarification stebs. That pool plumbing looks crowded but it also looks logical. That koi pond plumbing looks like a homeowner special and not very well thought out. But i don't know. Do you need all that for a koi pond ? I am betting that a pro job would look a little different. I am a big fan of manifolds of any type. So please tell me what i am looking at.
Do you need all of that for a Koi Pond? Well, according to most hard-core Koi enthusiasts, the answer is a resounding YES.

From the photo, it is hard to tell exactly which 'Bells and Whistles' are employed on this particular pond as all that can be seen is the outflow side of the pump. A bead filter is in plain view as are what appears to be two UV clarifiers. This install most likely has tangential jets, judging from the plumbing. It may very well also have a skimmer (You can bet the ranch that it has a bottom drain). It also may have a trickle tower, a fluid bed filter and a foam fractionator. The little container with the small piping that ius hanging on the wall is a mystery device. Also on the intake side, it may have a sieve filter and a vortex.

A professional installation may possible utilize a larger area for all of this plumbing, but it will still look like a 'Rube Goldberg'.

IMO, all of this is for the benefit of the pond owner, the Koi could care less. In fact, all of this attempt at perfection in water quality may actually compromise the Kois' immune system.

.....ends post by ducking flying tomatoes and other choice unmentionable objects.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The white cylindrical object in the upper left may be an Ozone generator instead of a UV.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the plumbing lesson tadpole. So how much money do people generally have in their koi ponds ? It does not look cheap. I looked at the koiphen site and some of those people go all out. Sorry for all the questions. I have always liked koi ponds, i just didn't realize they were so involved.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
Thanks for the plumbing lesson tadpole. So how much money do people generally have in their koi ponds ? It does not look cheap. I looked at the koiphen site and some of those people go all out. Sorry for all the questions. I have always liked koi ponds, i just didn't realize they were so involved.
Some of the posters on Koiphen are pretty extreme. $30,000 - $40,000 for a Koi pond is not unusual.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wish i had pictures of the Koi Pond that a customer of mine had installed. All in all it cost him more then $100,000 to complete the pond. It looked amazing! But the 100,000 included a boulder retaining wall that was completely landscaped around the pond and the pond was about 20 ft long 10ft wide and looked like a stream. But it was 10ft deep... sorry had to post that. lol
Old 04-06-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not really that surprising, Chris. There are a few out there with lots of extra "play' money.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Man the first time i saw the pond i thought it was a pool haha