Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-11-2011, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is another couple of links- http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/430/430-462/430-462_pdf.pdf

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/430/430-462/430-462.html
Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow man thats great. All I was finding was short writeups on shrubbery with very little about when to prune them. I know the basic ones, but want to expand my knowledge. Thanks again ALRI. I like your trees BTW!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is a good thread with awesome advice to help me understand and know a little more about pruning.
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 08-12-2011, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=ArenaLandscaping R.I.;4126953] Spirea is not "SUPPOSE" to be trimmed with hedge trimmers????. Thats funny I trimmed 5 spireas today with hedge trimmers and they looked good.

The difference between what most people think look good and being horticulturally sound is a big difference. Most consumers and lawn care guys have the notion that every plant should be a perfect little round ball and should be trimmed at the same time, when thats not true at all. Notice how I said lawn care guys becasue a true landscaper or horticulturist would understand proper pruning techniuqes. Im not nocking you down by any means but most people figure come July well its time to sheer everything up. Many woody shrubs simply just need a hand pruning one time per year to keep them healthy. When you prune them you only want to take off dead or diseased wood, crossing limbs, suckers, and any leaders. Then you also need to take off any branches that cause problems (up against a house, overgrown on a sidewalk/driveway etc.)

When you just take the sheers and start to hack away at plants your potentially hurting them, and setting them up for failure. For example a spring blooming spirea should be pruned in the summer right after their flowers have died off, but a summer blooming spirea can wait until late winter or early spring. IT all depends on when the buds are set for the plant. Plus as you continue to sheer away at all of these woody shrubs, look on the inside of them, notice how there is no growth, all of the leaves are on the very outside of the plant. Thats not healthy. All of my shrubs have nice green leaves all the way down through the plant becasue I dont take sheers and hack away at them.

You say well everyone wants that nice round look, mine are rounded per say because I shape them. With proper maintenance pruning you take away the leaders down to the rest of the plant and you get a naturally rounded look, not a sheered rounded look.

Here is a great site in regards to pruning:

http://cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/619.pdf

Last edited by lukemelo216; 08-12-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=lukemelo216;4127699]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArenaLandscaping R.I. View Post
Spirea is not "SUPPOSE" to be trimmed with hedge trimmers????. Thats funny I trimmed 5 spireas today with hedge trimmers and they looked good.

The difference between what most people think look good and being horticulturally sound is a big difference. Most consumers and lawn care guys have the notion that every plant should be a perfect little round ball and should be trimmed at the same time, when thats not true at all. Notice how I said lawn care guys becasue a true landscaper or horticulturist would understand proper pruning techniuqes. Im not nocking you down by any means but most people figure come July well its time to sheer everything up. Many woody shrubs simply just need a hand pruning one time per year to keep them healthy. When you prune them you only want to take off dead or diseased wood, crossing limbs, suckers, and any leaders. Then you also need to take off any branches that cause problems (up against a house, overgrown on a sidewalk/driveway etc.)

When you just take the sheers and start to hack away at plants your potentially hurting them, and setting them up for failure. For example a spring blooming spirea should be pruned in the summer right after their flowers have died off, but a summer blooming spirea can wait until late winter or early spring. IT all depends on when the buds are set for the plant. Plus as you continue to sheer away at all of these woody shrubs, look on the inside of them, notice how there is no growth, all of the leaves are on the very outside of the plant. Thats not healthy. All of my shrubs have nice green leaves all the way down through the plant becasue I dont take sheers and hack away at them.

You say well everyone wants that nice round look, mine are rounded per say because I shape them. With proper maintenance pruning you take away the leaders down to the rest of the plant and you get a naturally rounded look, not a sheered rounded look.

Here is a great site in regards to pruning:

http://cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/619.pdf
I appreciate your comments. Your respectful. You made your point without an insult. I was just being spiteful to certain people who follow me around on this forum with stupid comments. I understand what you are saying and the people on this forum can learn from you. Thanks for the link.