Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-13-2011, 08:33 PM
BBallkid42's Avatar
BBallkid42 BBallkid42 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 118
Website and Design

Getting to the point where I want to setup a website for my business but have some questions. Once I purchase a domain name, how do I go about designing the website? What are some people's experiences with setting up a website? I read you have to purchase a domain name and then a web host to help you design the website. Anything you can advise would be great and please include how much you paid for the whole set-up. Thanks
__________________
My Stuff:
2004 F150 Lariat
60" Exmark Lazer E-Series
48" Exmark Metro WB
Stihl Blower
Stihl Straight Shaft Trimmer
Toro 21" Push Mower
10 ft. Landscaping Trailer
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-13-2011, 09:17 PM
ajslands ajslands is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,237
Well you can use a designer or if you're good with hyper textark up language (HTML) you can set it up using that. Just hire someone, to do it, a biddy of mine payed a thousand or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-13-2011, 09:22 PM
BBallkid42's Avatar
BBallkid42 BBallkid42 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajslands View Post
Well you can use a designer or if you're good with hyper textark up language (HTML) you can set it up using that. Just hire someone, to do it, a biddy of mine payed a thousand or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not looking to pay that much. I know buying the domain is cheap and I'm not looking for something flashy and extravagant but just something to get up and running for the moment. My main question is once you have the domain are the tools there for you to design it on your own or do you have to buy the design tools when you buy the domain?
__________________
My Stuff:
2004 F150 Lariat
60" Exmark Lazer E-Series
48" Exmark Metro WB
Stihl Blower
Stihl Straight Shaft Trimmer
Toro 21" Push Mower
10 ft. Landscaping Trailer
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-13-2011, 10:43 PM
soloscaperman's Avatar
soloscaperman soloscaperman is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,970
Don't waste your money were in stage that a service company has a better chance having a page on Facebook or Linked.com or something like that. Were are slowly migrating from websites to a page like facebook with apps and a search engine built right into it. I guess you can say ALL-IN-ONE.
__________________
" There is no wrong way on getting new customer's if you have a good long term plan."

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-14-2011, 10:25 AM
lukemelo216 lukemelo216 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South East WI
Posts: 934
I use a company called the logo company. www.thelogocompany.net. They can do a 5 page website for you for $450.00. Then id just shop around for a domain and host name.

You get 5 designs, then move forward with a design from there. I have used them for my logo, brochure, postcards, and now I am having them upgrade my current website. Trust me, use a company to do your website. You can always tell the difference between a website that joe the landscaper put together, and one that xyz landscape contracting had put together by a professional website deisgner.

I will agree that we are getting more and more into the twitter/facebook age for business, but I still think its important to have a website presence too in addition to facebook.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-14-2011, 06:55 PM
GravelyWoman GravelyWoman is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fairhope, AL
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemelo216 View Post
I use a company called the logo company. www.thelogocompany.net. They can do a 5 page website for you for $450.00. Then id just shop around for a domain and host name.

You get 5 designs, then move forward with a design from there. I have used them for my logo, brochure, postcards, and now I am having them upgrade my current website. Trust me, use a company to do your website. You can always tell the difference between a website that joe the landscaper put together, and one that xyz landscape contracting had put together by a professional website deisgner.

I will agree that we are getting more and more into the twitter/facebook age for business, but I still think its important to have a website presence too in addition to facebook.
I paid right around $39.00 to get my website up and running through a website design service called Homestead their website is www.homestead.com, the monthly service is 19.00 per month. This has been the best money spent so far for my business. I have a link to my Facebook page, pics of my work a total of 5 pages. If you have any computer skills at all this is extremely easy to navigate and understand!! To spend 1,000 or 450.00 just starting out was crazy for me. This has been great! In addition, I just added an additional service of accepting credit cards through this company as well. 2.7% each swipe, no monthly service fee nor any cost for equipment, which is a small device that attachs to your iPhone.

Thanks!
Gravely Woman
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 PM
soloscaperman's Avatar
soloscaperman soloscaperman is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,970
I use godaddy.com and I built this site for about $8 a month pretty easy too. WHitehillslandscaping.com Just started building it last 2 months when I had extra time.
__________________
" There is no wrong way on getting new customer's if you have a good long term plan."

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-14-2011, 07:57 PM
THEGOLDPRO's Avatar
THEGOLDPRO THEGOLDPRO is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CONNECTICUT
Posts: 5,190
I built my website myself using intuit, i HIGHLY recommend them, As soon as i made my domain name they called me from customer service and stayed on the phone with me for about an hour to make sure i had it all figured out. Then they called me back 2 weeks later to make sure i didn't have any questions and helped me some more.
__________________
Official THEGOLDPRO fan club.HERE
2012 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2011 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-14-2011, 10:59 PM
lukemelo216 lukemelo216 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South East WI
Posts: 934
yes you can design a decent website yourself using something like godaddy or similar produts. I did that initially, and it was fine, but as the web becomes more and more widely used form of marketing, I believe it is important to have a high quality website built for you. Yes it does cost a good amount of money, but its well worth it in my opinion. People want convience these days, so every bit of marketing we do, we display the website in which they can request quotes right there.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-15-2011, 03:53 AM
soloscaperman's Avatar
soloscaperman soloscaperman is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemelo216 View Post
yes you can design a decent website yourself using something like godaddy or similar produts. I did that initially, and it was fine, but as the web becomes more and more widely used form of marketing, I believe it is important to have a high quality website built for you. Yes it does cost a good amount of money, but its well worth it in my opinion. People want convience these days, so every bit of marketing we do, we display the website in which they can request quotes right there.

Nothing wrong with use godaddy just because it's cheap, it's simple but it depends on what pacakges you choose and I am still learning. The website itself doesn't show your work, your work pictures is what shows who you are. People want simple sites that are'nt jammed with crap. Look at the method of Google.com and Facebook.com very simply and people like that versus clutter and other tacky stuff.
__________________
" There is no wrong way on getting new customer's if you have a good long term plan."

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
internet , internet advertising , web design , website , websites

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:40 AM.

Page generated in 0.10802 seconds with 9 queries