Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2011, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
Wells can be tricky , the bucket test is fine , but not accurate at all . what is the recovery rate of the well . What type of well is it , drilled , driven , shallow , deep . What horsepower pump , what size pipe ? Pressure is easy go inside and look at the gauge , its between 40 and 60 psi , thats the factory preset low and high limit . Get the information off the tag on the well , find out who has the records county or state
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfd523 View Post
Hello I am new to this forum and find the information very helpful. I have done about a dozen installations all using city water supply. I have someone that wants a job done but they already have an existing well. My question is that I tested the psi and gpm at the spigot. the psi was done with a gauge and gpm via the bucket test. Is this an acceptable place to take these readings for my design. From searching the internet I see some people actually tie into the water line right after the pump to take readings. I find this a lot of work to give an estimate and don't think most homeowners would want you to do that just to get a quote. They had two quotes already one guy tested same spot I did and the other never even looked at the pump well or turned on the water. any help would be greatly appreciated.
a 2 hour pumpdown test is the most important measurement test you can do.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The pump down test is great , if you can get the homeowner to start it 2 hours before you get there .
Old 08-14-2011, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
The pump down test is great , if you can get the homeowner to start it 2 hours before you get there .
that's part of the job, analyzing the system. i wouldn't trust a home owner to do anything for you. in fact the irrigation system that i was telling you about last year where the ho had someone else do the job because he didn't want a pumpdown test taken and the other bidders said i didn't know what i was talking about. they punched a new well last week, my dad was doing some excavation near the site and talked to the driller (anyone spell lawsuit)
Old 08-14-2011, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can get a handle on a well's usefulness in less time, if you keep a close eye on a pressure gauge while it is running steady (no cycling)