Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2011, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Had a guy that wanted his lawn done on Fridays ONLY...I said fine...May we had a record rainfall and there was only 8 days that it didn't rain and they weren't on Friday lol. Told him at the beginning of the year I DON'T cut when it's raining PERIOD. He just couldn't figure out why the grass wasn't done. I cut all of his neighbours on Saturdays or on Thursdays. I gave him his final bill with "Customer cancelled contract due to month long rain, unreasonable expectations and scheduling inflexibility"
Old 07-20-2011, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

With most of these complaints I can feel my stress level rising and I'm not laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Lawn View Post
i just start crying. Nothing like seeing a grown man cry, they feel sorry for me, apologize, and pay me.
I might have to try that, some days it wouldn't take much.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Customer called the other day after a severe hail storm that knocked alot of leaves off the trees and asked if it was ok to leave them there until I came the next week to service her property or would I need to get there sooner. I replied that I could come the next day but there would be an additional charge for the second service in one week or we could take our chances like we do in the fall when the leaves sit on the lawn for 7-10 days. LOL
Old 08-16-2011, 04:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIXIECONTRACTING View Post
Customer called the other day after a severe hail storm that knocked alot of leaves off the trees and asked if it was ok to leave them there until I came the next week to service her property or would I need to get there sooner. I replied that I could come the next day but there would be an additional charge for the second service in one week or we could take our chances like we do in the fall when the leaves sit on the lawn for 7-10 days. LOL
Reminds me so much of a certain customer. Let me guess, this woman is like 85, by herself and does nothing but stares out the window all day.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake 'n Bake View Post
Reminds me so much of a certain customer. Let me guess, this woman is like 85, by herself and does nothing but stares out the window all day.
No worse she is only 58 but does sit and look out the window all day LOL
Old 08-16-2011, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

You might feel good that she looks up to you. And that unlike her, you are not alone and dimwitted.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanauer View Post
You might feel good that she looks up to you. And that unlike her, you are not alone and dimwitted.
You are correct
Old 08-31-2011, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

What to do when lawn customer doesn't pay up?

I like to write their outstanding balance owed in their front yard with Roundup. You would be amazed at the pressure neighbors reading their outstanding debts has in future prompt payments.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Member

i give one of my mowing customers an estimate for some landscape work. he told me to go ahead and d the work. he then proceeded to have a bunch of dirt dropped "to help me out". i informed him that the bill would be higher because he had about more than twice the dirt he needed and he said that would be fine. i proceeded to do the work and found a way to work with all the extra dirt and finished it up and billed him. He called me and said he could have concreted the entire drive, sidewalks and area that we landscaped for less money and told me i wouldn't be mowing any longer. the next day he shows up at my house and appologized and paid the bill, and informed me that we would still be doing he mowing. turns out his wife really liked what we had done and thought it was reasonably priced and made him come down, lol... happy wife; happy life
Old 09-27-2011, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a woman come up to me while we were mowing an HOA and told me, "You're mowing too much, you're going to kill the grass. Everybody knows that you don't mow as much when it's a drought."

So I say, "Well, we have irrigation here, so if I don't mow every week during the summer, the grass will be 8 inches tall and it'll get damaged if I remove too much of the grass blade in one mowing every two weeks"

Looks dumbfounded...

Then she tells me that we're cleaning too many leaves out of the gulley.
"It's too clean, it doesn't look natural"

I guess everyone's an expert!
2006 Kubota 9540 w/8 foot galvanized Modern shredder
Gravely 36 inch walk-behinds
Echo and Shindiawa handhelds
16x8.5 Enclosed
24x8.5 Enclosed
16x8.5 Heavy Duty tandem trailer