Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2011, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i hate rubber mulch

As I sit here on my customers porch avoiding the pouring down rain I have came to that conclusion. I got the job of removing rubber mulch from a long time customer of mine front flower bed that she put in. The rubber (died dark brown) got hot enough this summer that it killed the plants and now she wants it gone. So far my pants and my hands a dyed brown from the paint coming off. Thank goodness I didn't put this stuff down. Ok rant over
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2011, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Mmmm sounds like some biological goodness
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2011, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Putting it down is a easier than removal. I hate that stuff and charge more!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I think LCOs hate it because they know they won't be remulching that bed anytime soon. I hate laying mulch, and hate setting my clients up for remulching (which most of them don't realize will happen; they think mulch will last forever); so I usually recommend they go with either rock or the rubber mulch.

Most of them love it; they like the idea of longevity. I've gotten good referrals and extra business with stuff like this. Clients react well to me not soaking them.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesLL View Post
I think LCOs hate it because they know they won't be remulching that bed anytime soon. I hate laying mulch, and hate setting my clients up for remulching (which most of them don't realize will happen; they think mulch will last forever); so I usually recommend they go with either rock or the rubber mulch.

Most of them love it; they like the idea of longevity. I've gotten good referrals and extra business with stuff like this. Clients react well to me not soaking them.
And I see that your clients do not care about their plant's health care.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 08-15-2011, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is true I give a fact sheet with each mulch bid, this tells the clients what to expect. Ofcourse if they don't read it then they are surprised the next season when it needs to be dressed up.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailboardtech View Post
As I sit here on my customers porch avoiding the pouring down rain I have came to that conclusion. I got the job of removing rubber mulch from a long time customer of mine front flower bed that she put in. The rubber (died dark brown) got hot enough this summer that it killed the plants and now she wants it gone. So far my pants and my hands a dyed brown from the paint coming off. Thank goodness I didn't put this stuff down. Ok rant over
Posted via Mobile Device
I have a client that's wants it for a playground. I'm in Maryland on the Eastern Shore and having problems finding a supplier.
2008 F350 Stake body 6.4 Diesel
1992 Chevy 1500
4 Boss snowplows
1 Grasshopper 722D 61"
3 Grasshopper 223 61"
1 Kubota ZD 331 72"
1 Toro 36" W/B
1 Toro 44" W/B
1 Wright Stander 52"
1 Massey Ferguson 1428 Tractor
1 Kubota RTV 1100 diesel with broom
Husqvarna trimmers
Stihl and Redmax blowers
Old 08-15-2011, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

The only place that rubber mulch should be installed is in a play ground. the stuff is crap in flower beds. Not only is it bad for plants after a while so much debris collects in it looks bad. Rock is also bad alternative for plants because it gets colder in the winter and hotter in the summer than the actual surrounding ground. The real organic mulch made from plants is the best choice. By the way how is incorperating rubber into your yard organic?
Old 08-16-2011, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My issue is with the fact that it simply isn't natural. Granted, I like to think that all rubber mulch is made from recycled tires, but honestly, there's got to be a better use for recycled tires. Unless I'm mistaken, hardwood mulch (and other natural mulches such as pine straw) are a renewable resource. Also, as it breaks down over time, it becomes nutrients for the plants resulting in healthier plants, who would not want that, even if you do have to freshen it every year (or sometimes twice a year).

My business provides quality lawn care, but more than that, we offer even higher customer service.