Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2011, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Advice please-New Landscape Dying

I installed about 30 azaleas, caladiums, crepe myrtles in a customers yard about 2 months ago. Up until last week, things were looking great, there was an occasional stem dieback, but for the most part things were good. When I arrived last Friday, the entire back half of the yard looked awful...3/4 of the new plants were dying. The top half of the yard looked great!! The customer had an irrigation problem early on and when I asked them if the sprinklers were hitting the plants, their response was "we haven't checked to see." I thought I would come unglued!
Anyway, now what...if all of these die due to no water, do I pay to replace all of the plants? These are really good customers and I don't want to loose them, I just want them to take care of the plants!!

Thanks all I appreciate your responding!
Gravely W!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

All landscape plants need to be installed with a basin for flood irrigation and the ability to hold water from a soaker hose... Sprinkler heads from irrigation is fine for inbetween soakings, but time must be spent soaking if you want a summer planting to live, let alone thrive...

I flood the basin of each plant w/out stomping on the root ball at planting time, the next day and weekly thereafter... Relying on irrigation heads for bushes is not an acceptable reason for client neglect... You should take at least some measure of responsibility, and always include the irrigations in the pricing...
Old 08-18-2011, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I couldn't say better
Old 08-19-2011, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree...and which is exactly why before I left the day I placed them in the ground I went and bought a 100ft. garden hose and showed the owner how to flood the basin and do some deep waterings.....
I did go back and check this week and since they have started watering again things are looking much better...a couple of azaleas still looked stressed...but will probably survive!
Thanks!
GravelyW.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

On my estimates for a new LS, it says that I am not responsible for lack of watering and I specifically tell all my customers that they must go out and hand water everything for the first 30 days, daily. Especially bigger trees and palms. Like someone said, in the heat of summer, new plantings need tons of water. It is a very simple instruction that the homeowner must follow.