Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-17-2011, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Now...Dont get me wrong....That SHINOLA is some decent stuff......
But ...Moisture and water are normal working conditions in Fla., and therefore, with no way to grease, much less service the spindle bearings,If they fail during the warranty period, Its a warranty. Back in the day when I worked for an Exmark Dealer, the salesrep told us that the grease was the same stuff that NASA used on a project that was so secret, he was forbidden to tell us about it.......
I dont know what it was...it sure sounded important.....Shinola ? .. Perhaps....
Old 08-17-2011, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

As long as it was a govenment sponsored endeavor, we know it had to be good and we surely know the price was right!!! It may indeed be "Good Stuff".

I'm more concerned by the lack of grease than I am by the quality, at least judging from the seals I have pulled when installing a new set of bearings in a greaseable spindle housing.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Slapper,

As long as it was a govenment funded endeavor, we know it had to be the "Good Stuff" and we surely know the price was right!!!

I'm more concerned by the lack of grease than I am by the quality, at least judging from the seals I have pulled when installing a new set of bearings in a greaseable spindle housing.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
Slapper,

As long as it was a govenment funded endeavor, we know it had to be the "Good Stuff" and we surely know the price was right!!!

I'm with you on that point...I've destroyed my share of spindles getting them apart.

There is a fine line between the "Good Stuff" and the "Right Stuff" .....Thats All I Can Tell You For Now........
Old 08-19-2011, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
Yea, Fish, I should have mentioned pulling the inner seals. In doing so, I've never experienced any problems. The old Grasshopper cast iron spindle housings were equipped with bearings sealed on one side only. The mower I purchased in 1987 mowed 4 acres of dusty farmstead until 97. I started to get a little noise out of one assembly in 2005 so replaced them all. Wouldn't have happened without grease.

When I worked in a Dane shop, we experienced sealed bearing failure in as few as 300 hours. We started drilling and tapping all new equipment with zerks and the problem went away--and, yes, we did peel the inner seals.

I've said it before on this forum but to me the biggest contributor to bearing failure is power washing units while still hot after finishing up a day or a week of mowing--same for trailering a mower through rain after a job.

Fish, what information do you have that would indicate that the grease used by sealed bearing manufacturers is superior to a good grade of high moly grease?
Many years ago, (like about 1979 or so) when I was wrenchin' on HS packaging equip., they had a recurring problem on a capper, anyways the mfg sent a bunch of suits around to look at the POS, one being a bearing rep., and he went on to explain in great detail ( like I gave a sheet) about how his bearings were the greatest thing since sliced bread, etc., etc.
Hey, common sense should tell ya that the grease they use has to hold up better, given the life expectancy etc. See Slappers post, #8.( hey, did I just agree with P.S.???)
At any rate,you can google the subject and read till yer eyes cross!!

......AMF!