Register free!

Old 08-21-2011, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Horible week ends with my life flashing before my eyes

So how does this week sound for you.

Monday - my self and 3 employees were to start a large irrigation and lighting install. The other employees were already out on a large lot clearing and landscape install job else where. The crew coming to the irrigation job with me gets into an accident. Car runs a red light and t-bones the passenger side of my 250 utility body. Then my 450 dump, runs right into my 250. The f250 is totaled, and 450 is severely damaged. Driver of the 450 tested positive so he's terminated. Passenger of the 250 was tested because he was injured, he tested dirty. The driver of the 250 has a broken leg so he's out of work for the next 2 months. So now I'm down a great irrigation tech, laborer, and equipment operator/mechanic. Now I'm doing a large install by my self, pulling in a laborer from the other site for a half day hear and there.

Wednesday - equipment was down and my mechanic is home with a broken leg. Had to wait for Cat to send out a mechanic.

Thursday - picked up a rental dingo, with puller and trencher. Pulled right through 4 cable lines and 3 telephone lines. Miss marked by about 4 feet by Verizon and Comcast's locate contractor, so at least I'm off the hook for the damage. But try telling your customer they have to go 2-3 days with out cable. And then tell them that Verizon quoted out the September 14th for the repair. Because it was a miss mark they are trying to expedite the repair for sept 1st. Thanks for going on strike Verizon

Here's what was the highlight to the week. Actually having my life flash before my eyes. Pulling pipe with the dingo. Going across the back yard the ground gives out under me and I fall in to above my waist and the dingo continues moving towards me. Luckily it stopped but had me pinned in the hole pretty good. After a few minutes of sitting their thinking "what am I going to do" and panicking waiting for the ground under the dingo to give out and crush my legs I was able to calm down and wiggle my self out. Turns out there must of been an old buried stump that had decayed away over the years and the vibration from the puller caused the ground to give out. The whole at the surface was about 3x3' and the cavity was probably under 18" of hard packed soil. The cavity it self was probably 3' high and 4.5' across. The tunnels from the roots were a good 18" in diameter. Just to fill the hole it took about 3 tons of large 12-18" stones to fill it enough so that I could dump 1/2 a yard of loam in.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Now that is a shitty week .... damn!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good gosh. Don't know what to say. Glad you are okay and can tell us about it.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow man, that is some week. When it rains it pours it seems and the hard times always snowball into unbelievable proportions. I had a week (not as bad, but bad enough), earlier this year that scared me so bad I almost just shut down my small business and was ready to call it quits. It wasn't financially related, business was strong, it was a culmination of bad events that looked like a sign from god and it had my anxiety on red alert. At the end of the day, im glad I didn't give up, it taught me some lessons about perseverance and faith. I know you aren't talking about giving up the industry, im just sharing where I was at, I was pretty beat down. I have a real appreciation for the phrase "why not me" now as opposed to "why me". I realize now, bad things are going to happen and honestly I think they are supposed to. I wish you good luck, but I doubt you need it.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Next week will definitely be better. man that sux
Old 08-21-2011, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

your week was worse than mine but i near flopped the mini-ex moving this stump. loose rocks are like ball bearings to a track machine.

i'm glad that you made it out in one piece.

what did the former employees test pos for?
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2011, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Does positive mean that you are on a drug at that time and dirty means has done a drug recently but not on the effects right now?

That's really crazy man I'm sorry to hear about that!

Glad everyone is reasonably okay
Old 08-21-2011, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post

Thanks for going on strike Verizon
Verizon strike ended Saturday(workers going back under old contract while new one being negotiated). Call them back, they may get out sooner
Old 08-21-2011, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My irrigation tech tested p outositive for marijuana, and the laborer tested positive for opiates (percocet, oxy, heroin etc) neither one was high at the time but it was in their system. The marijuana I don't care to much about, I look at that like drinking, do it on your own time and don't think about coming to work the slightest bit under the influence. But either way I have a zero tolerance policy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2011, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
But either way I have a zero tolerance policy.
"What ever you do after work is your business, but if I find any paraphernalia in the truck, you are out of here."