Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-22-2011, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The courage engines are a low end engine.....Pretty inexpensive to replace ( compared to the Command Engines $1200-$2000)

Put a pipewrench or breakerbar on the crankshaft, and see if you can get the engine to free up. If it does, put oil in it and see if it runs.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe you should have followed this advice;

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwaters View Post
if you can not move the flywheel, that is bad you might want to take it to a mechanic

And I should have.............and......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robro1102 View Post
How about checking the engine oil before starting a thread ?
I think we're looking at the wrong end of the horse.

I certainy deserve that comment. I just can't believe I ran it without oil. I never had any sign of it running hot or leaking or anything. That being said, I must face reality.

This is a Kohler Courage 21 HP SV610-0020. If I locked it up, please answer probably this last question. Do people rebuild these types of engines, or is it just not feasible to mess with? If I got one of those "pullers" mentioned above, I think it is obvious I would not know what to do with it.

Can the community "small engine repair guy" do this type of work, or are we talking a true ENGINE SHOP?

Thanks for all of you help.
Robro....Sorry about the "Slap".....You didnt deserve it.....
Guess Im just like all the other mower techs on Monday mornings in the middle of August.

I realize if you were a mechanic, we probably wouldnt be having this conversation. If you can get the engine freed up, it might go back to work. Unfortunately, it would probably be cheaper to replace than rebuild.

Good Luck,

SLAPPER
Old 08-22-2011, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks to all of you for your help and encouragement. I have tough skin, so no problems here. I think it is great that you guys are willing to steer someone in the right direction.

It is now in the hands of someone who works on these types of things and I should get some kind of report later this afternoon, and I want to go on record saying that i think there is still hope. I shut the engine off (it did not die on its own), so even if there was no oil, I just don't think it could have gotten hot enough to totally blow the engine.

I promise to report either way. Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Id venture to say that a magnet came off the fly-wheel and is lodged between the stator . I had this happen on a pressure washer of mine.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridalandcare View Post
Id venture to say that a magnet came off the fly-wheel and is lodged between the stator . I had this happen on a pressure washer of mine.
thats what restro was shooting for, still a shot that that is the problem. I had one come in without oil that the safety system was not allowing the engine to start, poured oil in fixed the safety and the engine is doing just fine 5 years later. He is better about getting it serviced now though
Old 08-22-2011, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Short blocks works in this situaton if the heads are okay. Might get that down as low as $900 if you do the work. I did mine this winter not real bad. You do have to get that flywheel off.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like Topsites said, pull the plugs and try to turn it. If that doesn't work then just start pulling the whole thing apart. At this point what's it going to hurt and it wil give you a better understanding of the internals of an engine.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robro1102 View Post
Thanks to all of you for your help and encouragement. I have tough skin, so no problems here. I think it is great that you guys are willing to steer someone in the right direction.

It is now in the hands of someone who works on these types of things and I should get some kind of report later this afternoon, and I want to go on record saying that i think there is still hope. I shut the engine off (it did not die on its own), so even if there was no oil, I just don't think it could have gotten hot enough to totally blow the engine.

I promise to report either way. Thanks again.
You learn hard way I know you will be checking oil everyday from now on
Old 08-22-2011, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here's your problem, now you have to pray because unfortunately when an engine runs low on oil it doesn't seize immediately,
matter of fact if there was any oil in the engine it can run for some hours, be shut down, have the oil changed....
Then seize three days later yet run good up to that point.

That's been my experience.
But it's still worth a shot, because you don't know until all is truly lost.

Generally speaking rebuilds are only worth it for the experienced mechanics who have a lot of time on their hands.
The short answer is replacing it costs about as much and now you have a brand new engine with a warranty.

Last edited by topsites; 08-22-2011 at 11:40 PM.