Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2011, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Capetrees: If I assume correctly from your name, then you are on cape cod. There has long been a push on the cape about minimizing/ eliminating pesticide use due to the entire area being an aquafer. They have possibly pulled the insect control fert in that area.

Also I seem to remember a show on the history channel claiming that 90% of pesticide missapplication issues are home owner related.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Perhaps Scotts was feeling government pressure from the EPA. The feds take a dim view of applying pesticides where they are not needed. Its possible they were thinking about outlawing Scotts fert with insect control Step Three because insect control was not needed on 90 percent of the treated lawns. I doesn't kill grubs--maybe a few chinchbugs and sod webworms--if present, and Scotts responded to the pressure by taking out the insecticide. They were thinking--why include it if not needed--and customers won't even miss it. And they save millions of dollars.

Essentially we did that at Tru Green in 1978. Dropped the Dursban from Round Three and customers never noticed it was gone. Out technicians were happy to not have to handle it and smell it any more.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I hope that's what it is, pulling it on their own doindg as opposed to overall banning of pesticides. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for the bugs from here on.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

why not just call scotts customer service and ask them? Which dealer told you this? just curious.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

After emailing my questions, this is what I got in response so I'm satisfied.

--Thank you for contacting us concerning Scotts products. As always, it is our goal to make sure that our customers are completely satisfied with our products and services.

I am sorry you are unhappy that the insect control was removed from the ScottsLawn Pro Step 3 Lawn Fertilizer. This change was made as part of our efforts to make our product more environmentally friendly by promoting the use of insecticides only when it is needed. Most consumers living in the areas where the LawnPro 4 Step program is sold do not have a surface insect problem meaning it was an unnecessary application of an insecticide.

If you have a surface insect issue such as chinchbugs or fleas, I recommend applying either Ortho Bug B Gon MAX Lawn Insect Control Granules or Bug B Gon MAX Lawn & Garden Insect Killer (Concentrate or Ready-Spray). Both products can be applied to all grass types. If you are concerned about grubs, then you need to apply Grubex1. For best results Grubex1 should be applied in early summer (June) in most areas of the country.--