Register free!

Old 08-24-2011, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Electric pump question

I am thinking of buying a couple of small skids that have 50 gallon tanks and 100' of 3/8 hose. The person said both pumps were out but the tanks, reels [manual] and hoses were in good shape. He also said both hoses had couplers on the end and one had a JD9 gun that would go with it. He said one had a 1.8GPM shurflo pump and one had a 3.1 shurflo pump. For those of you that have electric sprayers what size pump is really needed for 100', [and I would like to add more hose], to spray the way it needs to spray? I was thinking at least a 5GPM pump for a chemlawn gun. Also would a trolling motor battery run one for a few hours?
Old 08-24-2011, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Pm Sent....
Old 08-24-2011, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are spraying weeds, you should go with a low gallonage per thousand sqft. Then you 1.8 gpm pump should be enough. I think about a half gallon per thousand sqft would work. Remember you lose a percentage of the pressure and flow gpm due to friction in that 100 feet of 3/8 hose.
Even with the bigger pump--the small diameter hose loses a lot of pressure due to friction loss. The 3/8 hose is probably not suitable for a Chemlawn gun.
The deep cycle battery should work if you charge it up at night--about 2 hours charging for each hour of battery use.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What I was mainly interested in these for, would be for spraying insecticides out of one and herbicides on small islands with the other.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
I am thinking of buying a couple of small skids that have 50 gallon tanks and 100' of 3/8 hose. The person said both pumps were out but the tanks, reels [manual] and hoses were in good shape. He also said both hoses had couplers on the end and one had a JD9 gun that would go with it. He said one had a 1.8GPM shurflo pump and one had a 3.1 shurflo pump. For those of you that have electric sprayers what size pump is really needed for 100', [and I would like to add more hose], to spray the way it needs to spray? I was thinking at least a 5GPM pump for a chemlawn gun. Also would a trolling motor battery run one for a few hours?
Dawg

I am pushing 300 ft of 3/8 hose with a 12v 2.1 GPM Shurflo pump and applying at 1 to 2 gallons per thousand with no problems. IMHO unless your 100 Ft hose is mounted on a Cart of some kind it is use-less.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Dawg

I am pushing 300 ft of 3/8 hose with a 12v 2.1 GPM Shurflo pump and applying at 1 to 2 gallons per thousand with no problems. IMHO unless your 100 Ft hose is mounted on a Cart of some kind it is use-less.
Ok, I hate to admit this but I was thinking of getting another 100-150' of hose and just coiling it up. That way I could add it to either unit. I know this is "Redneck" but like the saying goes in my neck of the woods "Po people gots Po ways".
Old 08-24-2011, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Ok, I hate to admit this but I was thinking of getting another 100-150' of hose and just coiling it up. That way I could add it to either unit. I know this is "Redneck" but like the saying goes in my neck of the woods "Po people gots Po ways".
Dawg

A Pest Control guy in my town has all the business he can handle and he uses a 300 ft Garden hose which is layed figure 8 style in his truck bed. He also uses a standard Garden Hose nozzle. This is all pushed from a 200 tank by a 12V pump.

Fact is the Retired people like the fact his equipment works slow and it takes him longer than most. They feel they are getting their monies worth.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.