Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2011, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
You simply have no (rational) response to the flat statement that the OP's desires can't be met with a centrifugal. It stands as truth.
Now that is just plain bullshiit boots. His requirements can most definitely be met with a centrifugal .... and not only met .... but would way exceed the OP's "requirements" providing he has the money to drop. I have better things to do than to argue with the inane .....
Old 08-24-2011, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the OP also posted a dollar amount - a minimum dollar amount that cannot get it done with a centrifugal - do try to pay attention
Old 08-26-2011, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

note to OP - you might try for half a loaf here. Forget pumping pond water, and go with the existing well, and see what you can do to make it run "big heads" which in your case will only be one notch above the usual residential stuff. Pressure is what you're after here, and you can adjust the pressure switch to have the well cycling in something like a 60-80 psi range (assuming you have a 100 psi rated tank or better. If the existing range is very much lower, you could cut in a PRV into the house feed, so they don't see the higher pressure. If codes required you to have an RPZ in the sprinkler plumbing, then you would have the cut-out pressure increased accordingly. At some point, you have to trade in the usual pressure switch for a larger one, in order to gain a higher pressure range (a standard Square D switch is spec'd at about 75 psi maximum cutout, but there is usually another 10 or so psi beyond that, before you run out of adjustment room)

The idea here is to get at least 60 psi at the sprinkler heads, and to run some zones with larger nozzles, so you get an idea of how things work with bigger heads, and the greater force of water they produce.

An in-between approach could be made by pumping your pond water with a Sta-Rite DSS4HG pump, which is a multi-stage pump that is a size larger than most any jet pump. It still won't give you 50 gpm with pressure to operate "big heads", but you can zone the system in a way to pick and choose the operating point you want on the pump curve. At 25-30 gpm, there's pressure enough to run the larger heads the way they were meant to be.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice Pump Choice

http://www.starite.com/ResidentialPr..._DSS4HG3T.aspx

In case anyone is interested.

Boots, I am wondering if you have one of these pumps installed someplace? I've noticed that you have mentioned it in several posts (some very old) and I'm curious about the pumps performance. I am a little concerned about the pumps plastic impellers and ports, but I am equally impressed by the amount of head that the pump can develop. Typically I lean towards brass impellers in high pressure applications as I feel they are inherently more robust, still I'm interested in your thoughts and experience with this pump.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some others here have used that pump, I'm certain. My own pond work never needed more than 25 gpm, so I could get by with a jet pump. I also liked that a jet pump can't create more than 80 psi in a deadhead situation, which matters when you have poly mainlines. No question but that pump stands out as delivering great pressure for sprinkler systems, but maybe it has its own issues, and those that have installed one can recount them.

Plastic impellers never seemed to be an issue with the Goulds pumps I favor. I think in the early days, the pump mfrs didn't want to spend money making molds for impellers they could machine from brass.