Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Surveyed As Builts

For whatever reason, local commercial projects have started throwing a requirement for a "surveyed as built" to be included in an installation project.

So, having never encountered such a beast before...
1) wtf are they REALLY asking for?
2) is this something the irrigation contractor puts together or does it have to be truly done by a surveyor?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Never heard of that term before so I googled

To me it seams a surveyed as built is what an irrigationist does most of the time already if you do as-builts- In short, it means to correct the original as built with all the modifications made throughout the installation process.

AS-BUILT SURVEY A finished structure seldom corresponds exactly to the original plans in every detail. Unexpected, usually unforeseeable difficulties often make variations from the plans necessaryó or, occasionally, variations may occur accidentally that are economically unfeasible to correct. The purpose of an AS-BUILT SURVEY is to record these variations. The as-built survey should begin as soon as it becomes feasibleómeaning that the actual horizontal and vertical locations of features in the completed structure should be determined as soon as the features are erected. At times, variations from the original plans are recorded on new tracings of the working drawings, on which as-built data are recorded in the place of the original design data when the two happen to differ. Sometimes, reproductions of the original drawings are used with variations recorded by crossing out the original design data and writing in the as-built data. In either case, the term as-built survey, together with the date of revision, is written in, or near, the title block
Old 08-25-2011, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
For whatever reason, local commercial projects have started throwing a requirement for a "surveyed as built" to be included in an installation project.

So, having never encountered such a beast before...
1) wtf are they REALLY asking for?
2) is this something the irrigation contractor puts together or does it have to be truly done by a surveyor?
Let me guess....

This was a "per spec" install designed by an Architect that has never installed a system. They like to use big language to describe simple things such as "surveyed as built," which really just means provide as-builts just like any other job.

What is really going to be fun for you is when the Architect comes to "inspect" the system and you have to spend 10hrs going through the system teaching the Architect that designed the system how to install it. What really blows their "designed in utopia" mind is when you install 18' heads 15' apart to compensate for reality.

Funny questions from Arch's I have had in the past:

What are those little green circles everywhere?
umm valve boxes.

Why is this brass "check valve" above the ground, can't someone get hurt on that?
That would be a RPZ, and I guess someone could, but you need to talk to the TCEQ about that one.

These rotors are too close (as he retracts his tape measure)
Well we generally install them close to insure head to head spacing.
Why?
Because crazy chet happens like the wind blows.

Why are there only a few wires coming into the controller? Shouldn't there be like 40?
It's a two wire system... remember?

Good luck buddy, don't keep a gun in your truck... you might be tempted to use it.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
Let me guess....

This was a "per spec" install designed by an Architect that has never installed a system. They like to use big language to describe simple things such as "surveyed as built," which really just means provide as-builts just like any other job.

What is really going to be fun for you is when the Architect comes to "inspect" the system and you have to spend 10hrs going through the system teaching the Architect that designed the system how to install it. What really blows their "designed in utopia" mind is when you install 18' heads 15' apart to compensate for reality.

Funny questions from Arch's I have had in the past:

What are those little green circles everywhere?
umm valve boxes.

Why is this brass "check valve" above the ground, can't someone get hurt on that?
That would be a RPZ, and I guess someone could, but you need to talk to the TCEQ about that one.

These rotors are too close (as he retracts his tape measure)
Well we generally install them close to insure head to head spacing.
Why?
Because crazy chet happens like the wind blows.

Why are there only a few wires coming into the controller? Shouldn't there be like 40?
It's a two wire system... remember?

Good luck buddy, don't keep a gun in your truck... you might be tempted to use it.
LOL thanks for the perspective. My opinion of landscape architects is somewhat lower than yours. I get to see all sorts of stupid crap in bid packets.

The "surveyed as built" spec just seems to have popped up into a number of bids on my desk right now and I'm just not in the mood to get bent over on a project given the craptastic season we've had so far around here.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

then include in your bids that surveyed as builts will be completed at the hourly rate of XXX dollars , hide it in the fine print
Old 08-25-2011, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
LOL thanks for the perspective. My opinion of landscape architects is somewhat lower than yours. I get to see all sorts of stupid crap in bid packets.

The "surveyed as built" spec just seems to have popped up into a number of bids on my desk right now and I'm just not in the mood to get bent over on a project given the craptastic season we've had so far around here.
I hear you on that one. I have had a great season, but it took a few craptastic ones to learn just to laugh and pump some already inflated egos.

All kidding aside there is one achitect around my area I like working for. I do the plans, what order everything will happen, and see the job through.... he gets 10%.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've never seen an "as-bilt" (misspelled by me) that was accurate, including some of my own.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I've never seen an "as-bilt" (misspelled by me) that was accurate, including some of my own.
I get them as close as possible but with CAD drawings you cant be perfect.

The most important thing to make sure you have right is the location of the main line, wires, and valves.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Even when an LA provides the drawing for a job, we always do our own shop drawing for the install crews. They then just note the changes made in the field and then corrections are made back in the office. This speeds things up tremendously since the designer does not need to return to the site and try and make sense of what really is in the ground.

We do not concern ourselves with the head locations for the most part. Isolation Valves, Master Valves, Flow Sensors, Station Valves, Mainline, Wire Path, Splice Boxes etc.

Most LA drawings are drawn to look pretty and they route the mains under walks, drive and even in the building LOL. So when we draw one, we do it as we think the install crew will actually run the mainlines.

Anyway, the shop drawings for finished as-builts will save you tons of time and hair pulling.

Anyone using LandFX?