Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2011, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just put the hours in an August "App." and figured them in with the rest. You can do it (of course) any way you see fit, though. I'll still keep up with all my time (in-house) and see how it works out at the end of the season.

Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys must not have many customers if you have time to talk to each of them every service.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quality is better than quantity...for sure.

I talk to all of mine, before applying RUP's. It may just be a "heads-up" email. But, they know I'm coming to spray....and what's expected of them (if they have irrigation). I also do this to check their mowing schedule.

My smallest weed/fert. customer's lawn is 30KSF.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To me it appears the simplest solution would be to print up a flyer that talks about applications and proper treatment of the turf immediately afterwards and then over the next few days.

Every single time an application is made, either leave the flyer on the door or give to the client if you see them. He said she said won't play well as the vendor, but if you can educate them to understand why not to irrigate for a while after application then they will likely cooperate imo.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you sell applications or do you sell results?

I think the customer buys on results.

If you made 1 application or 10, the point will be whether or not the customer has weeds.
At least thats what I would do if i hired a lawn service. Id want to pay for a weed free green lawn. I dont care how many applications you make.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1 View Post
Do you sell applications or do you sell results?

I think the customer buys on results.

If you made 1 application or 10, the point will be whether or not the customer has weeds.
At least thats what I would do if i hired a lawn service. Id want to pay for a weed free green lawn. I dont care how many applications you make.
Thats 100% correct. I sell irrigation , but my customers buy work free green grass.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
You guys must not have many customers if you have time to talk to each of them every service.
I will never be so busy that I cannot afford customer service. Quality and customer service keep them coming back. Losing five minutes here and there won't break me.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie Landscape View Post
I will never be so busy that I cannot afford customer service. Quality and customer service keep them coming back. Losing five minutes here and there won't break me.
That's exactly what I thought when I read that statement as well. I have several hundred customers. Not everyone is home but I have time and will make time for the ones who are.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
My job is to educate the customer as well as treat the lawn. If they are home, there is no excuse for not knocking on the door and giving them a quick rundown of what you've done and what they need to do to get the most out of their lawn treatment. So, IMO, there's no excuse for them turning on the sprinkler as soon as you pull down the street. Weather is beyond anyones control. If they have weed issues after that, make sure you are mixing/doing things properly. You also need to ask yourself how much a backpack of weed control really costs you. I think you'll find it's a lot cheaper than losing a customer over hard feelings about being charged for a respray. JMO
Ted

Chemical Practices are only as good as the supporting Culture Practices. But some people either aren't worth Educating or aren't able to be educated.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.