Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2011, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have been using the G6 blades for a full week now on all my lawns, so here are my observations-

First, I see no reason why anyone would have any trouble spinning these blades.

My mower is certainly far from what is considered a big or powerful machine these days. I am running a 2011 JD Z720A with a 25 HP Kohler Command Pro engine, and the 60" 7 Iron II deck. It spins these with ease (without bogging my engine at all), even when taking off 5"-6'' of lush grass at decent speed.

My blades were/are very uniform from end to end, and came balanced perfectly. They come with what is some sort of hard clear finish that I assume is to prevent rust before being used, which makes the cutting edge feel a little dull, but once they are used it quickly wears off revealing a decent cutting edge. The cutting edge on the blades for my mower have a bit of a mulching edge to them that starts approximately 5" from the end of the blade and curves on up and in towards the spindle bolt, but not all the way to it. The tips of the fingers are quite sharp on the blades I have. These blades are .250" thick, same as the OEM high lifts I have been running. Both blades are 3" wide. The sail on the G6's (tips of the fingers themselves) are about the same in height as those on my OEM high lifts, and are a bit more gradual in getting there, but due to the notches that form the fingers, these blades are a slight bit lighter than the OEM high lifts are. Mine came with a spacer/washer that was taped to the top side of the blade that stated "must be used to avoid damage to machine" or something very close to that, so I used it. Since the blades that came on my mower were standard lift blades that are 5/16" thick, I assume that this washer (which is about 1/16" thick) is supposed to make up the difference between the stock blades and these. I see no reason for it though, since these blades are not close to touching anything anywhere under the deck, and the spacer actually places part of the center hole of the blade down onto the top of the threads on the spindle instead of on the smooth and full diameter section of the spindle. Maybe Dennis will read this, and post about the purpose of this spacer for the benefit of all who are reading along here.

They do not move as much air as the Deere OEM high lifts by a noticeable margin (due to, I believe, the notches that form the fingers), which is easily noticed when moving across pavement, or blowing the clippings back toward the turf using the mower, but still move plenty. They do mulch the grass much more than the stock blades or the high lifts do, as was evidenced by the consistently finer clippings. The OEM high lifts throw the clippings farther, and disperse them more evenly with no clumping, while these seem to throw small clumps when the grass being removed is more than 4" in length, and lush/moist. It appears that these blades pack the clippings together/tighter before discharging them, which I believe is the reason for the clumping. The clumps are small though. On any grass that is lush/moist that I have to take more than 4" off at a time, I still have to double cut to get rid of any clippings, but there are less clippings, and they are much smaller and easier to get rid of. I am a one man operation, and only part time right now. I may be too picky, but I won't leave any clippings on the surface of a lawn. Others may say that the same cut is just fine as is. I have the time to go back and clean them up if there are any left behind. On lawns that are weedy with thick stems, or lawns that are almost entirely comprised of weeds, with a little grass thrown in, they do an excellent job, and seem to mulch these types of clippings up very well. Overall, they leave a nice cut with very few stragglers left behind when taking off 3"-5" in a pass. I have had no problem with wet grass sticking to the underside of my deck. This is something the 7 Iron is well known for (having the bottom side of the deck stay pretty clean), but I expected at least some from these blades. In fact, I mowed one property the other day that I fully expected I would have to scrape at least some grass from under the deck on, because of how much water it gets, it was watered right before I got there, it had rained the night before, and how tall it always is, but there was nothing left underneath the deck when I finished. It actually seemed cleaner with these blades than it has with my OEM high lifts on the same property all season for some reason that I can't explain.

The overall noise of these blades is not quite as loud as my OEM high lifts, but due to the fingers ripping the air, they have a noticeable buzzing sound. Once you get into the grass though, it muffles it down to an acceptable level (at least to me). They sound very business like though.

I haven't used them on any leaves as of yet, but fall isn't too far off so we'll see how they do there.

Overall, I am quite pleased with them, and will continue to use and evaluate them for the rest of the year. Anyone who wants more/better performance from their mower and blades than the stock ones that came on their mower, should give these a try before simply dismissing them as all hype and no substance. They aren't perfect, but nothing made by man ever is. They are very good in my opinion though, and worth trying.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 08-27-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Great review!

Haven't put them on yet. May have to after Irene to get rid of excess clippings though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post

First, I see no reason why anyone would have any trouble spinning these blades.

My mower is certainly far from what is considered a big or powerful machine these days. I am running a 2011 JD Z720A with a 25 HP Kohler Command Pro engine, and the 60" 7 Iron II deck. It spins these with ease (without bogging my engine at all), even when taking off 5"-6'' of lush grass at decent speed.
Here is why your not having problems spinning these blades....

Your stock deck already comes with .250" by 3" blades! As you stated these may even be lighter than your stock blades!

Your not running a 15mph machine with 21cc pumps. (yours is an integrated 10cc pump/gear reduction motor combo)

Your deck is wide open in the front. No restrictively close baffle arrangement.

Just putting this out there since you bolded the anyone part!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 08-27-2011, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Great review!

Haven't put them on yet. May have to after Irene to get rid of excess clippings though.

Here is why your not having problems spinning these blades....

Your stock deck already comes with .250" by 3" blades! As you stated these may even be lighter than your stock blades!

Your not running a 15mph machine with 21cc pumps. (yours is an integrated 10cc pump/gear reduction motor combo)

Your deck is wide open in the front. No restrictively close baffle arrangement.

Just putting this out there since you bolded the anyone part!
Thanks for the kind words. I tried to be thorough, and post anything that I have found positive or negative about them.

Actually, if you re-read my post, my deck came with 5/16" std lift blades. I didn't mention this in my review though since the difference makes them almost identical in weight, they are 5/16"x 2.5" instead of the full 3" width of the OEM high lifts I replaced them with.

Hopefully, you'll not have any major problems from Irene where you are. I think that if your machine does well with spinning these blades, you'll be pretty happy with them, but I would be interested in hearing what you find either way. It matters to me what other are experiencing, since I may one day ride a machine very similar to theirs, and I can learn a lot by listening/reading.

Just an FYI- I wasn't directing that anyone comment at you or anyone else particular. It's just that I have seen several comments on this site that have been posted saying these blades are too heavy/don't spin up well, and usually from guys with much more powerful engines than I have (though this 25 HP Kohler is impressing me so far on that point).
Old 08-27-2011, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I tested them out today and was very pleased with them I had no problem spinning them i have a hustler super z 27 hp 52in cut i think im going to order a few more sets
Old 08-27-2011, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody got any pictures of these super new 18 pages of forum blades?
Old 08-27-2011, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Everyones "version" of "enough power to spin these blades" is different.

OEM blades engaged sitting still I'm at 3750 +/-

I like to say that I normally cut around 3650 +/-

I start loosing my QOC at 3550 +/-

Anything under 3450 and I may as well be mowing in reverse!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2011, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Anybody got any pictures of these super new 18 pages of forum blades?
Somewhere in the 18 pages
Old 08-27-2011, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some G6 Blade pictures

Other blade is a Fusion eXmark notched foil high lift .203"
Attached Images

2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 08-27-2011, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hate reading 18 pages.......but what makes this mulch blade different from Scag's vavy mulch blades or the other vendors who make straight mulch blades that I have in my shop
Old 08-27-2011, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Higher lift, tooths going the correct way, thicker steel, 3" wide, and Fusion cutting surface.

Wavy mulch blades don't have much lift and are usually only used with closed chamber mulch kits.
Posted via Mobile Device