Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-17-2011, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need some help for a renovation project. Bermuda to fescue.

Greetings.

I received an inquiry from a customer that is interested in killing off their Bermuda yard and re seeding with a fescue blend (the most common in our area). Not really sure why, as their bermuda yard looks pretty decent but it's their wish.

I've done plenty of overseeding in the past but have never done a complete renovation like this and was just wondering what steps would produce the best results and what I should expect. I'm keen to do the job so I could expand my knowledge in this industry.

I saw a video on youtube of a soil cultivator attachment for a mini skid steer that basically advertised a one step seed bed prep : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0lK1UuYJ6k

This looked interesting as they have a few uneven spots as well that need leveled out.

Any input would be appreciated, and please be respectful, everybody has to learn these things at some time. Thanks
Old 08-18-2011, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

It is extremely difficult to erradicate bermuda. The roots can go down 6-8 feet. Sod farms get four cuttings in a typical season. It simply grows back, and fast. You can try solarization, where you cover the area in a tarp for a week, but even that won't kill it all. They will be fighting bermuda forever.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That was an initial concern of mine, seeing how hearty it is once it takes hold. But the initial thought was to roundup the yard this fall and try to renovate the yard early next spring with the fescue blend before the bermuda starts coming in, in the hopes that the new stuff will come in thick enough and "choke" out the bermuda.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just my 2 cents.

One app of round up Now. Another in two weeks and mow short. Last app of round up 2 weeks later (total of 3 apps). This will kill the bermuda and then seed fescue 2 weeks after last app of round up. I have done this with success. I have power raked the dead bermuda before seeding the fescue and have had good results doing this. also core aerated at same time. Hope this helps. You have to hit the bermuda a few times to kill it off!
Toro Recycler
Stihl MS250 18" chainsaw
Stihl BR550
Stihl FS90 trimmer
JD pro stick edger
2 Solo backpacks
16' Stokes orchard ladder

http://www.newspring.cc/
Old 08-19-2011, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

roundup

roundup in two stages or a third if needed. Mix heavy.

for soil renovation to reseed, a soil conditioner attachment on a mini skid works great once the grass is thoroughly dead. You could also till first to get the roots and then come over it with the conditioner to break up the tilled clumps and level for seed installation. that would be my recommendation.

this is the machine and attachments I've been using for seed bed preparation and other landscaping jobs. Now selling as I'm getting out of landscaping. Looking at $27,500 for entire setup including MT52 with only 97hrs, two buckets, forks, leveler, soil conditioner, tiller, adapter plate, power broom, auger with 3 bits and prohauler trailer to haul mini skid and several attachments to the jobsite. It's about a $44k package and everything is in very good to like-new condition.

scott 605-228-9350
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2011, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't there a chemical out there that's supposedly removes Bermuda or other warm season grasses from cool season grasses? Saw it in a magazine earlier this year can't remember the name of it tho..........
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2011, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpropm View Post
Isn't there a chemical out there that's supposedly removes Bermuda or other warm season grasses from cool season grasses? Saw it in a magazine earlier this year can't remember the name of it tho..........
Posted via Mobile Device
Ornamec, this will help, but you're fighting an uphill battle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2011, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Careful with the ornamec on fescue.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I were you I wouldn't take the job in general. You may be able to get it to grow just fescue for a year, but the bermuda WILL come back. Maybe not this year, maybe not even next year, but eventually it WILL come back.

There are only two sure fire ways to make sure it doesn't come back. (and even then you can only guarantee this for a few of years)

1. Use a bobcat or ditch witch with a bucket to scrap off 10 inches of soil. Spray. Then install new soil. Add seed or sod.

2. spray the area OVER AND OVER AND OVER again for one whole year. Then seed in your fescue or sod over the top.

If any of their neighbors have bermuda this is all just a completely fruitless endeavor. Even if there are concrete barriers in between it will eventually make it over them by way of seed or underneath by way of rhizomes. I've seen it make it underneath a 10ft driveway. Also, the thought that fescue will choke out bermuda is a falsehood. Doesn't matter which one is more established. Bermuda wins out every time.