The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2011, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, and adjust your settings, I'm only on page 6
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2011, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Those 396-740 g6 blades that TLS posted pics on the previous page are awesome, from my first experience anyways. I have a diesel bb w/60" deck, that never impressed me with the cut. These blades changed that, now even my weeds look smooth now.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Oh, and adjust your settings, I'm only on page 6
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep, just go to your user CP and change the settings for the number of posts per page. You can go all the way up to 40 which is what I did, and I'm only on page 5 here.

My G6's differ from TLS's because I have a different machine. I don't have pics, and should have posted some with my review. Maybe I can do that tomorrow so that others can see the variations out there according to machine. Mine are straight along the cutting edge for about 5" as I posted before, but then due to the way the blades are shaped for my mower application, they have a "wave" to them that starts at about 5" in from the end, and curves up and in towards the spindle, which makes it even more like a mulch blade. There is approximately 8" of cutting edge on mine, maybe a tad more.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

TLS posted: "OEM blades engaged sitting still I'm at 3750 +/-
I like to say that I normally cut around 3650 +/-
I start loosing my QOC at 3550 +/-
Anything under 3450 and I may as well be mowing in reverse!
How in the world do you measure blade RPMs?
"QOC" is quality of cut?

Another issue: somebody mentioned his blades have an extraordinarily long cutting edge. I assumed (from wear patterns) that all the cutting was done at the tip or maybe just the outer inch. But in a mulching setup where the blade is supposed to take multiple whacks at each piece of cut grass, would a longer cutting edge facilitate this?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanauer View Post
How in the world do you measure blade RPMs?
"QOC" is quality of cut?

Another issue: somebody mentioned his blades have an extraordinarily long cutting edge. I assumed (from wear patterns) that all the cutting was done at the tip or maybe just the outer inch. But in a mulching setup where the blade is supposed to take multiple whacks at each piece of cut grass, would a longer cutting edge facilitate this?
I use a Tiny Tach tachometer. Inductive pickup wire on spark plug wire. Keeps a running total of engine operation hours and while engine is running it displays RPM's in 10 RPM increments.

Yes...QOC is Quality Of Cut

These are full length sharpened blades (well almost full length). This aids in high speed high volume cutting quality.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 08-28-2011, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Having trouble finding the new G6's on the internet...I need an 18" blade with a 5/8" center hole for my bad boy 52"...
Old 08-28-2011, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. Not to argue, just to learn...

I guess there's one plug-spark per engine rev (on a gasoline 4-stroke), but unless it's a direct-drive system, is it certain that there's one blade rev per engine rev?

"... full length sharpened blades ... aids in high speed high volume cutting quality" because there's less air resistance, because cutting takes place other than at the tip, or both?
Old 08-28-2011, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

I guess there's one plug-spark per engine rev (on a gasoline 4-stroke), but unless it's a direct-drive system, is it certain that there's one blade rev per engine rev?

"... full length sharpened blades ... aids in high speed high volume cutting quality" because there's less air resistance, because cutting takes place other than at the tip, or both?

Yes, some engines even fire every stroke, even if it's the power stroke or not. Tiny tach has them for both.

I'm not talking about blade RPM's, this is an engine tach. However most 60" ZTR's use a 1:1 engine to deck ratio. Without getting my calculator out other sizes increase blade speed ratio to maintain the max allowable blade tip speed.

I think it's both with regard to full length sharpening.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 08-28-2011, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

It's true that most of the cutting takes place at the tip, but by having a longer cutting edge that is sharp while cutting long and/or high volumes of grass, the engine doesn't have to work as hard, since sharp blades slice through the clippings (rather than battering them around) that have been already taken off, but are still under the deck and on there way out the discharge chute.
Too, many blades get bent over by the front edge of the deck, and don't spring back up (actually they are sucked up by the vacume affect of the blades sail) in time to be taken off by the leading edge of the blade, so having a longer cutting edge helps with QOC.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone tried this 2 blade per spindle set up? The dealer who I got the g6 blades from said I would be happy in the fall with the g6 and happy in spring with the double blade set up. Really like the gator fusion g6, think I will try the dual set up next.