Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2011, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
I'm guessing all the trucks will be relettered and all new t-shirts for the employee's. New name same owner.
Unless there is a construction boom around the corner I do not think so. Many people here complain about how many lawn trailers there are for residential business on every corner. If you ask me the commercial market is dog eat dog prices and of course there is very little loyalty with the commercial customers.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Below is a C & P of a E mail I got from a friend who work for the County Public Works. They of course issue Mowing contracts for the county etc. I have XXXed out Names etc. BTW I don't do any County work so there are no conflict of interests here just friendship & a great deal of respect for this gentleman. Plus this guy is straight up and there is no way he would do anything illegal of immoral. The ROW Mowing contract I have asked about is one I have followed for years after seeing a medium 6 figure bid price. However after doing the math the per thousand Sq Ft price is like $ 0.25.

I have posted about this same Bid before and have already talked about how the one new bidder under the bid the former Contractors Costs by 15%. So I guess this is an update.

Quote:
Thanks for the wick applicator info. The Specialty Mowing contract went back out for bids after the last vendor forfeited it in April and XXXXer Services, the low bidder, deemed qualified and responsive, began July 1. In that meanwhile, XXXXan’s Lawn Care took care of it for the county. We don’t understand, either, how the work continues to increase, but bids get lower & lower. Contractors/people are desperate for cash flow, of course, in these times & as you know.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well when you walk away from 40 some odd mill a year, you must have big problems. I know they lost alot of work on the 408 and the like. The new contractor was doing the installs and maint. They brought in the crap of the crap in plants, sod, pine starw, palms. So you gotta figure they cut villa and sons throat. And it's a safe bet V&S was already cutting their own throat. And I've heard the new contractor already closed up. IRC OR IRL or some thing. Them shutting down is just word of mouth rumor though. But they aint out there no more. Thats what happens when you bid jos way bigger than you should be, for way less than you should be. They take out big loans to grow. Then cash flow catches up to. I dont want to get ig just to say I'm big. I want money. If that aint possible I'll stay small
<a href="http://www.cklandscapingflorida.com/">www.cklandscapingflorida.com
Old 08-25-2011, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CkLandscapingOrlando View Post
Well when you walk away from 40 some odd mill a year, you must have big problems. I know they lost alot of work on the 408 and the like. The new contractor was doing the installs and maint. They brought in the crap of the crap in plants, sod, pine starw, palms. So you gotta figure they cut villa and sons throat. And it's a safe bet V&S was already cutting their own throat. And I've heard the new contractor already closed up. IRC OR IRL or some thing. Them shutting down is just word of mouth rumor though. But they aint out there no more. Thats what happens when you bid jos way bigger than you should be, for way less than you should be. They take out big loans to grow. Then cash flow catches up to. I dont want to get ig just to say I'm big. I want money. If that aint possible I'll stay small
Chuck

If Government started requiring PERFORMANCE BONDS a lot of that Throat cutting would stop. If contractors had to put up hard assets like their house as a Bond guarantee, I am sure Bid prices would change for the better. But then Government would be cutting their own throat by doing that.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 08-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Sponsor

In this industry it is still to early to tell who will end up on top or have any sort of advantage over ones competion real or otherwise. Last time I checked it was still raining and material is still growing and requiring maintenance, although the building trade has almost come to a stop there is still work out there to be done. I say let the Big company's continue to slug it out. In the end it will come down to price/service. Big or small concern the bottom line is no one can Pimp themselfs better than themselfs. If you can deliver you will always have work. Let the big company's deal with all of the drama and stuff.
easy-lift guy.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
In this industry it is still to early to tell who will end up on top or have any sort of advantage over ones competion real or otherwise. Last time I checked it was still raining and material is still growing and requiring maintenance, although the building trade has almost come to a stop there is still work out there to be done. I say let the Big company's continue to slug it out. In the end it will come down to price/service. Big or small concern the bottom line is no one can Pimp themselfs better than themselfs. If you can deliver you will always have work. Let the big company's deal with all of the drama and stuff.
easy-lift guy.
Easy

I don't think the smaller professional Maintenance guys are hurting in our area's present economy. They have a customer base and their is still is a demand for quality work. Your Market area is actual HUGE and has a higher disposable income compared to my area south of you. But if I ever had any hopes of expanding into your area the Tree Hugger Laws and BS have kept me away so far. But it is a very big market I would like to tackle but have my reservations

While I have some smaller commercial customers and fined them very profitable, I try and stay Residential for the most part. Call it a comfort zone.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Sponsor

Ric your comfort zone is more important than anything else. Once one steps outside of this zone things happen, mistakes can occure and problems are not to far behind.
The enviromental wacos and the like will to one degree or another be present most of the time, what is really a challenge is ones ability to retain customers with common sence and a degree of independence. These types of customers weather residential or commercial should be provide the best service possible. Any other customers present or future that may be sipping Kool Aid on the side should be written off since in my opinion they are well on their way to no where land.
elg
Old 08-29-2011, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Only work I've lost maint wise came a few years back when the market first tanked. I lost a good chunk of comercial work. Either they shut down or started farming it out to who ever beat up the price the most. At that time I only lost a handfull at best resi's. Almost all them were renters who lost their jobs. I now hardly do any rental's and am picky with the new ones I get. I also dont look for comercial work. But I'm pretty well back where I was now. Just tighter routes, better houses, and easier work. I hear there is no loyalty from clients. But I would say I got some dang loyals ones. We treat each other well, and it keeps the low ballers from even getting a thought. If I do lose one over a price, well good. I'd rather sit on my butt than beat my self over the head
<a href="http://www.cklandscapingflorida.com/">www.cklandscapingflorida.com
Old 08-29-2011, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CkLandscapingOrlando View Post
Only work I've lost maint wise came a few years back when the market first tanked. I lost a good chunk of comercial work. Either they shut down or started farming it out to who ever beat up the price the most. At that time I only lost a handfull at best resi's. Almost all them were renters who lost their jobs. I now hardly do any rental's and am picky with the new ones I get. I also dont look for comercial work. But I'm pretty well back where I was now. Just tighter routes, better houses, and easier work. I hear there is no loyalty from clients. But I would say I got some dang loyals ones. We treat each other well, and it keeps the low ballers from even getting a thought. If I do lose one over a price, well good. I'd rather sit on my butt than beat my self over the head
Same here. I find resi to be the most loyal and they will pay for quality.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2011, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

are they back in business? saw them doing big job this week
Posted via Mobile Device