Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-30-2011, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Figuring total per ft prices

Ok, so I'm fairly new to all this... When figuring in a price per lineal ft for lights, how the heck do you figure in Male plugs and female plugs... say they cost me 73 cents a plug how do you figure that in to the footage for each house?? what about extension cords? I am not talking about running power from the house cords, but lamp cord to jump from a higher gutter line to a lower gutter line... I carry these in 6, 12, and 15 foot sections. Some houses I use 3-4, some more.. so, how do you all figure a average for each house price per sq foot? Not sure how to do this.

So currently I know how much i spend ( my cost per ft) for bulbs, and for sockets... just really dont know how to figure in plugs, cords, clips, stakes, my GAS, and then the most important part, LABOR.

Can someone give me a break down on how they do it? would like to hear an ideas....

Thanks in advance for the help!!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

we charged 6 bucks a foot for c-9s from 2001 to 2006, and went up to 6.50 a foot in 2007 I believe. we are probably due to go to 7 per foot in 2012. this includes selling and not renting the product the first year, along with all the cords, timers, clips, plugs, labor to install, takedown, and stored at our warehouse. etc. we do 3.25 per foot for labor up and down and store in the years following.

this is more than most folks charge, but I have looked at all the labor and overhead numbers, and I can't do it for less.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
we charged 6 bucks a foot for c-9s from 2001 to 2006, and went up to 6.50 a foot in 2007 I believe. we are probably due to go to 7 per foot in 2012. this includes selling and not renting the product the first year, along with all the cords, timers, clips, plugs, labor to install, takedown, and stored at our warehouse. etc. we do 3.25 per foot for labor up and down and store in the years following.

this is more than most folks charge, but I have looked at all the labor and overhead numbers, and I can't do it for less.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2011, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

David- ok, so will you share how you figure in the plugs and cords to the 6.50 price??? That's what I'm not following how to do... Spool and bulbs are easy bc they are used per ft.. But extras such as clips, cords and plugs are all different per job. Clips I suppose would be self explanatory by say you order 2000 clips with each costing you xx amount of dollars- do you double the cost of each clip to add to the per foot price? So for the plugs.. How do you figure these into the per foot cost.. Bc you can't say that you use an average of 10 plugs per house at .70 a plug. That's 7.00 right there... Following what I'm not getting? If you could shed some light on how this is done, I sure would appreciate it!!! Thanks again for your patience and help with everyone's questions!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2011, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do it the same way the Dave does it. In short, whatever I am going to use for the project, is included in the price. IE: Last season I was doing c-9's at 5.50 per lf new install. That rate included all clips, cords, plugs, wire and labor.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 09-03-2011, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

everything is included in the 6.50 price- plugs, ext. cords, timers, clips, labor, c-9 cord, bulbs, etc. I measure the roofline edge for linear feet using a wheel , and I have gotten pretty good over the years at using the wheel to figure peaks and cutbacks. tha average home will have 150-250 feet of c-9s. so we charge 150-250 times 6.50 per foot. I don't keep up with how many clips, cords, plugs we use. we just go with it because the numbers work and it is too much of a nightmare to keep up with all the small details. I know folks that line item clips, plugs and cords and timers, but I don't have time to write it out.