Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-03-2011, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Buying former rental equipment: Would you?

Well there is a great equipment rental place called RSC Equipment that rented everything from chainsaws to stump grinders to flatbed trucks. It was a great business but driving by today I saw a sign advertising all the equipment being sold off. My first thought was all the stuff would be high miles and abused. But then again, all the equipment was very-high grade (the minimum chainsaw they rent is the Stihl 390 Farm Boss). Well I`d only consider it if the price is reasonable, but I`d like to hear some opinions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2011, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I probably would shy away from it or at the least carefully inspect everything. If everything was taken care of in the first place than you will be ok.
(2) Husky Backpack Blower BT150
Stihl Handhelds
and American Muscle

www.Platinumlandscapemanagement.com
Old 09-04-2011, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You know what employees do to your equipment. Well what do you think the general public does? Ever rented a rental car? Did you baby it?
Old 09-04-2011, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Even going out of business they are not trying to sell that stuff at a loss,
it has been my experience the discounts are lousy at first while the best items go,
then as time goes on the discount gets better and more and more of the items go,
the problem is that by the time the discount is finally about where I want it to be,
all the good stuff is gone.

And I mean all of it, you might get a spool of trimmer string that nobody else wanted.

Every time, it's like fighting a dang mall crowd over one piece of cake,
you'll be lucky if you get a crumb and it's still a load of work.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't if it is a piece of equipment you will be using often. But if it is something that you use every one and a while and it was a place that took good care of the equipment and you can get a great deal then I might go for it.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've had good luck with some of my equipment from rentals centers, however I know the guys at the local shop and they're anal about maintenance on the equipment.

West Metro Property Services, Delano MN
Old 09-04-2011, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My father in law retired a year ago from rsc. He got me some good deals when they sold equipment.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I would for sure agree about buying something you will use once and a while. The images that flash through my head, happen to be what I did with the Skidsteers I rented. No chance I would EVER do that to my own machine.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

All depends on what it is,what it looks like, and look around to see of there oil in their shop. That way you know oils have been changed in done machines. My rental place has all junk. They will sell it but for new price. Most of their stiff is 20 years old. I know one place sells their stuff yearly. Now that would worry me about engine up keep.

I guess it all comes down to price and risk. Also of you know the place and how the up keep of Thier machines
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2011, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a bunch of stuff from an equipment rental place auction. I bought a compactor for $125. Put probably 50 bucks in it and it runs great. Also got an aerator, a few weed whackers and some other stuff...I cant remember it was about 5 years ago. I still use the stuff today. One thing about rental places is that they seem to maintain the stuff very well. They also dont send the stuff out every single day where as if you bought the stuff from another landscaper they would probably be using it just about every day. That being said I would inspect the stuff carefully and dont pay market value...try to get it at a significant discount and then what do you have to lose?