Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2011, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
What does the machine weigh? If you can have the skid and trailer and keep them under 10k you will only need DOT numbers on your truck and a valid med card. Most guys in MD take a trailer and derate it to 10,000 so even with a large skid it will just be an over weight ticket. But if you have a trailer registered over 10 k you will need a class A or B CDL.
Dig a little deeper. The CGVW of BOTH truck and trailer can not exceed 10,001lbs. before he needs DOT numbers. If he has to have DOT numbers, then he's good up to 26,001lbs CGVW before he needs CDL. Either way, he'd need to comply with the DOT if he wants to haul the skid around on his own.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Instead of the tow company, maybe you could think about just renting a trailer for the occasional use.

At some point if you exceed the cost of renting or paying someone to move it, then buy a trailer.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would never leave my equipment somewhere that I did not have a good feeling about security. If a job took me to a place that was suspect, I'd have to bring it home each night. At least rent a trailer and bring it back to your lot, I'd freak if I had to rely on a towing company and they were tied up or failed to pick my equipment up on time.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm on the eatern shore of maryland.It is pretty rural here stuff does get stolen, but thats what insurace is for. The tow compnany is a good friend that took over my dads bussines after my dad almost died in a motorcycle accident. the shop is next to my house. I have a compact tractor for small jobs, so if the skid gets hauled out it is for a job that it will probally be at for a few days. I do have dot numbers and 2 trucks able to haul the skid. My issue with dot is they are just like dnr or the federal game warrden when they check you while hunting .Even if you think you have everything right they will most likely find some BS ticket to give you because there department needs money and with out giving tickets there job has no purpose. My skid does get used alot actually just on my own property thats why i don't want to sell it.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you have numbers already then get the trailer, make it right and comply with everything. Problem solved.