Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2011, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
Potash is K. I would use a standard slow release NPK fertilizer already mixed (like Scotts, Vigro or a generic version) from Home Depot, applied according to the label. Unfortunately, they seem to be eliminating P from the major homeowner brands, so you will need to check the analysis on the bag to make sure it has P. (The starter fertilizers almost all have P, but they are overpriced and not always slow release.) The guys at the store might be able to help, or go to a Lesco, if there is one near you -- they are more expert. Just use standard lime, the white powdery stuff that is real cheap. Your PH is too low. I'd let the lime soak in for a few days before seeding, but actually, it shouldn't hurt the seed either way. This is not that hard a job from the soil chemistry standpoint. What is tricky is keeping the application on the bare surfaces on the incline, which is why the sooner you can get the rye established, the better everything will go.
Hey thanks for the help. Yea I do not think it will be hard. It just you have to learn lol. But yea my plans were to rent a skidsteer and dig the hill back some and smooth it out since some dirt had washed down. Will it hurt to put the lime down and than dig on the hill? Or would it just defeat the purpose?
Old 09-02-2011, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxrider52 View Post
Hey thanks for the help. Yea I do not think it will be hard. It just you have to learn lol. But yea my plans were to rent a skidsteer and dig the hill back some and smooth it out since some dirt had washed down. Will it hurt to put the lime down and than dig on the hill? Or would it just defeat the purpose?
I don't know how lime diffuses in the soil, but I would think it would not be available to the plants if it is buried after regrading. I would grade first, then lime, fertilize, and sow.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
I don't know how lime diffuses in the soil, but I would think it would not be available to the plants if it is buried after regrading. I would grade first, then lime, fertilize, and sow.
I got you. Ill head in that direction than. Would it be a good idea to mix in a compost with the soil or not? I just know since it is clay and it tends to dry out pretty easy.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have you seen the hillside during a heavy rain? It looks like you could regrade the top to divert the water from pouring over the side. Once you do that I would reseed but if you don't regrade it'll probably keep washing out. Just my. 02
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2011, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG_Landscaping View Post
Have you seen the hillside during a heavy rain? It looks like you could regrade the top to divert the water from pouring over the side. Once you do that I would reseed but if you don't regrade it'll probably keep washing out. Just my. 02
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea that the problem we have not had any hard rains in a while now. But I cannot tell where the runoff would be coming from unless it is just from the hard compaction of the clay making nothing soak in. But I was thinking of building the hill up at the top to make like a reservoir for whatever run off
Old 09-03-2011, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxrider52 View Post
Yea that the problem we have not had any hard rains in a while now. But I cannot tell where the runoff would be coming from unless it is just from the hard compaction of the clay making nothing soak in. But I was thinking of building the hill up at the top to make like a reservoir for whatever run off
If you can't see the problem that makes it a bit difficult but a reservoir with a drain in the middle with a pipe that runs somewhere might help contain the water. Once the issue of drainage is corrected then I would look into reseeding.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2011, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

top soil
fert-seed
excelsior matting+ sod staples

There you go...
Old 09-04-2011, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc0203 View Post
top soil
fert-seed
excelsior matting+ sod staples

There you go...
What about scraping the hill to remove some dirt that has washed down?

SO how much do you guys think this project will cost? I got to figure out a price for the skidsteer rental still.

I guess we could possibly do without digging on the hill and just putting down the correct chemicals and than seeding it with fertilizer along with an erosion mat?
Old 09-05-2011, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much will this project cost? Nothing, this is going on for a month now, you have had many answers just do it.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check out this months edition of Turf magazine. I just got through reading about how a company uses mulch on hills just like this one. You can find more detail in the article. Very interesting and u should find some answers to your questions their.

Maybe mulch top half and improve the growth below if this is a reoccurring problem with keeping vegetation at top of hill.
Toro Recycler
Stihl MS250 18" chainsaw
Stihl BR550
Stihl FS90 trimmer
JD pro stick edger
2 Solo backpacks
16' Stokes orchard ladder

http://www.newspring.cc/

Last edited by Premier landscaping south; 09-05-2011 at 10:35 PM.