Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2011, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

New Compact Tractor Advice

Been looking at new tractors around 30hp. Looked at Kubota and JD. Friend has a 4310 I would buy in a minute but he is undecided. Looked at the rear ends on some and dont like the way they look. Axle housing on the 3000 series JD and 3200 Kubota look like what I want. Dont like the looks of the 2000 series JD and the Kubota's that have a narrow rear end something like 4 wheelers have. Just have a long axle to the wheel.
Anybody have any and had any trouble. Also have a chance to get a 790 JD. I want a front loader, box scraper, blade, finish and bush hog. Gear drive or Hydro makes no difference to me but prefer JD or Kubota.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get the Deere. Kubota makes nice stuff, and they are wll known for being tough, but, most of the time, a JD will have features that the Kubota won't have for another 3-4 years down the road on same year machines. One thing that comes to mind is the side by side hydro pedals on the Deere instead of the stupid treddle peddle, and also many machines with hydros have the turning brakes on the same side as the hydro pedals which makes them totally useless unless you have two right feet. JD tractors normally have as high, or higher lift capacities for their 3 pt hitches as anyone on the market. Some compacts are now coming with lift capacities that beat some of Deere's machines, but it's for show only, because none of them can run any of the implements that require more lift capcity than what comes std on a Deere anyways. Either it will be too heavy for the size of the machine, or too much for the pto power being turned out by it. Deere does their homework when it comes to utility tractors on up in size.

I have owned 3 different Deere com ut's now. The first was a 4110, followed by a 4500, and right now my 4115 which is great machine. The 4500 was a serious tractor, and I had lots of attachments for it as I have had for the other two.

Both my 4110, and this 4115 have more lift capacity at the 3 pt than a 790, but the 790 turns in slightly more PTO HP. PTO hp is one of the most important things on a com ut, and not all are measured the same way. I know for sure that Deere's rated engine hp, and PTO hp are both set to match the tractors 540 rpm pto rated speed, which means you'll be getting maximum engine and pto performance when running your pto at the speed indicated on the tac. Some other machines don't always do that, so a tractor rated for say 35 PTO hp at 2600 rpm's may have a PTO that is rated to turn in 540 rpm's at say 2200 engine rpm's. You're not getting full power like that- maybe closer to 26-28 hp at the PTO instead of the 35 advertsied at rated engine rpms.

The 790 is a darn good machine, but it is gear drive only, and has a dry drive clutch vs wet pto/engine clutches on the 4310 as well as the new 2000/3000/4000 series.

Another thing is both my 4110 and 4115 while smaller in size overall, and a little lighter than the 790 both have higher front loader lift capacities too, due to better hydraulics. The 790 was in the budget price category, while all of the older 4000 (and the newer 2/3/4000 series as well) were/are Deere's premium category machines. The 790 is great, but the 4310 is a few steps above all the way around. If you can get it, do it!

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 09-05-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The 4310 only has 286hrs and he quoted me around 12000 if he was going to sell it. He wanted to get a bigger one. It has the nice loader on it also. I thought the price was good just wish he would make up his mind. The 790 has a loader, finish mower, box scraper, blade and bushhog. He has marriage trouble but hasnt priced it yet. The gear drive doesnt bother me, thats all I ever run when I was younger and helped some friends farm.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's a darn good price on the 4310 if the condition matches the low hours. The 4310 also has a 3 range transmission vs the 2 range on the 790.
I don't mind gear tranny's either as long as they have wet clutches, and/or I don't have a lot of back and forth motions to make like you do in loader work. For that kind of operation, a hydro or shuttleshift of some type is far superior. My 4500 had the JD Pow'r Reverser trans in it. That is the ne plus ultra in a compact ut. The benefit of a rugged planetary trans, with nearly the ease of use of a hydro. it wasn't like most other shuttle shifts either- no clutching what so ever to go from forward to reverse. Just flip a lever on the dash up or down. I could shift on the fly from gear to gear too. The 4310's were available with a 9F/3R, 12F12R Pow'r reverser, or the hydro transmissions. If his has the Pow'r Reverser, that's really a good thing.

Like I said, the 790's are great little tractors, but the 4310 is a much better machine all the way around- hp, hydraulic capcities for front and rear implements, etc. The 790's dry clutch and no shift on the fly all take away from it's performance when trying to manuever in tight quarters or when easing into an area.

Take him over the 12K and see if he doesn't get up off the fence. Better to sell to you, than have her lawyer (if it comes to that) force him to hand it over to her.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 09-06-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

There is a reason the rental companys use kubotas. They are indestructible!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn king View Post
Maybe in your immediate area, but looked at nationally the rental yards are fairly evenly split. Kubota's are cheaper to buy new, but like I said, they usually are a few years behind in technology (or features) than a Deere. Both are well made machines, and would serve anyone well for a lifetime if taken care of.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSide Cutter View Post
Been looking at new tractors around 30hp. Looked at Kubota and JD. Friend has a 4310 I would buy in a minute but he is undecided. Looked at the rear ends on some and dont like the way they look. Axle housing on the 3000 series JD and 3200 Kubota look like what I want. Dont like the looks of the 2000 series JD and the Kubota's that have a narrow rear end something like 4 wheelers have. Just have a long axle to the wheel.
Anybody have any and had any trouble. Also have a chance to get a 790 JD. I want a front loader, box scraper, blade, finish and bush hog. Gear drive or Hydro makes no difference to me but prefer JD or Kubota.
Your comparing different sized machines - mid size vs small frame CUTs....of course the mid sized 3000 will look and is beefier in design....

30 HP gives you in the area of 20 to 23 HP PTO power.....whats your needs or attachment size? The JD 3000 is more feature rich and better hydraulics, tranny than the Kubota 3200...its JD premium models, priced accordingly...

as for Kubota not having identical features or 3-4 years away in high end features, is a total fabrication and useless made up facts.....I would ignore that crap.....you would be doing yourself a disservice not looking at the line and understanding the difference in models.....

Having both green and orange gives me a better world view than green only sun glasses

JD 25xx series is very strong and so is Kubotas B series of similar models....weakness in the rear end isnt an issue, and likely no stated case of failure unless massive abuse....however you haven't clearly defined your needs, sized implements....maybe that sized classes isnt big enough and you need 25 pto to 30 pto instead (medium frame sized CUTs)

www.machineunderground.com

Kubota L39 w/grapple, pallet forks, BH & QA buckets, Thumb and more!
John Deere 2520, 210Cx, 46BH
Cub Cadet 3204 with Blower & Simms Cab,
Ford 2006 F550 turbo diesel 4x4 w/11' mason dump, Wright Stander RH 52",
Better Outdoor Product Quick 32" WB mower, and more !!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Maybe in your immediate area, but looked at nationally the rental yards are fairly evenly split. Kubota's are cheaper to buy new, but like I said, they usually are a few years behind in technology (or features) than a Deere. Both are well made machines, and would serve anyone well for a lifetime if taken care of.
they arent behind in anyway, i wish you would stop thumping your chest with this useless opinion....

they are also equally expensive in most areas....

Old 09-10-2011, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn king View Post
Deere dropped out of the TLB market completely......not by coincidence either.....the model lineup offered by Kubota was impossible to compete with

B21, B26, L39,L45, M59....impressive

not sure what leaf this other guy is smoking, but nationwide as the JD 110 gets obsoleted, they get replaced by Kubota..... FACT! and they are very feature rich and not behing in anway!

Old 09-10-2011, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati996 View Post
Deere dropped out of the TLB market completely......not by coincidence either.....the model lineup offered by Kubota was impossible to compete with

B21, B26, L39,L45, M59....impressive

not sure what leaf this other guy is smoking, but nationwide as the JD 110 gets obsoleted, they get replaced by Kubota..... FACT! and they are very feature rich and not behing in anway!
I don't appreciate the dope smoking analogy, or implying tha I wear "green colored glasses" that blind me to the truth. I know my tractors. It's my passion, and the fact is that Deere will come out with features that Case/ New Holland and Kubota try to better, and it usually takes about 3-4 years to do, but about a year later Deere does it again. It's been this way for a long time now. I look at new machines every year from all of them.

SSC isn't asking about a dedicated TLB either kackass. he's asking about compact ut's. maybe you need to read more and type less.

Until fairly recently, Kubota used ry clutches in all oftheir tractors-even their flagship grand L series. That's a pretty big minus IMO. Deere has been using wet clutches for their drive system for well over a decade.