Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2000, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

So does anybody out there grows trees?
Right i'm growing hemlocks they are about a foot tall.

But i'm looking for 7' hemlocks. Do any of have any or know who does. I can't seem to find any.

I what to put out from of the house so we can't see the cars drive by.

Tony
Old 09-05-2000, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

trees....

How old are those 1 foot hemlocks???? I have some that are about a foot and a half that are at least 2 years old. I dont have a "tree farm" even though my dad refers to it as that. If i find seedlings at yard clean ups or when i am up north on vacation i dig em up and grow em. I just recently got mountain ash, and some green spruce. The last yard clean up I did the lady had a 20+ foot tall japanese red maple... so i got about 20 2 inch tall seedlings. They havent grown in more then a month. I got a dog wood from under the tree in my own yard that was about 4 inches.... absolutely no leaves on it and right now its about 4 feet tall. I found it like a little over a year ago. My prize tree is actually the first one i ever got. Its a paper birch and its a little taller then me, Its really neat to watch them grow and to think you got them for free. I havent made any money from doing it but thats not why I do it. My stuff is just too small to sell even for a small amount. I do give them away to friends. my best friends parents have one of my hemlocks and my neighbor is getting as many burning bushes as she wants and rasberrys.

Sorry i cant help you find a 7' tall hemlock but im sure a local nursury would have them.. the only problem is they go for like 350+ a peice. Plus they may not have as many of them as you need
Old 09-05-2000, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

My hemlocks about 2 years. we did you find yours.
i had to pay for mine.
Old 09-05-2000, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

opps forgot to mention that

i forgot to put that most of the stuff i find comes from either maine or new hampshire. i basically dig em out of the woods. they arent very good shapes or anything but they are so small and free that it doesnt really matter... i can shape them as they grow. Its really not that bad of a deal except the ride home kind of sucks. my brother sat on one of my mountain ashes... its dead now.
Old 09-05-2000, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

why would you want to plant hemlocks in the northeast? They are being decimated by the woolly algeid(sp?) and the only hope for survival is diligent spraying twice a year.

Pick a less susceptible tree.
Old 09-06-2000, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Member

They are the only broader tree i can plant in the shade.