Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: One question! Do you guys blow the lines clear of all water or leave a little in?
Crystal Clear! 7 38.89%
Let it go til my cig is done 1 5.56%
leave a little water in. 7 38.89%
F*** it! 3 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2011, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We warrenty em too, but there will always be a few where the interior ball valve fails over time and passes water. Almost all understand when it is explained to them.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I blow until spitting and do each zone 2x never had a problem probably a little left in but not enough to cause freeze damage.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS## View Post
If I ever have a serious issue you can be sure that'll happen.

I've been trying to come up with a way of taping off or zip tying off the supply valve so that if that seal is broken in the spring the warranty is void.
I'm just thinking about it for those rndom winters when we don't get a freeze until real late. I remember the winter of 05-06, Boston didn't get it's First measureable snow until mid february. My lawn didn't go dorment until then. Im thinking a winter like that, how many homeowners might turn there system back on manually to give it a little water in late february because the lawn is still green and we hadn't had any rain.

One thing I do do is if there is a water spickot on the supply line outside before the backflow I will leave it open, that was if the ball valve inside fails hoefully the customer notices
Old 09-08-2011, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Even if they dont notice , most will drip . Sometimes it will build up and freeze thou. But hey , by the time they need a new interior ball valve , the backflow has lived 90% of its life anyway.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS## View Post
If I ever have a serious issue you can be sure that'll happen.

I've been trying to come up with a way of taping off or zip tying off the supply valve so that if that seal is broken in the spring the warranty is void.
A buddy of mine and i were JUST talking about this at lunch! (Since its been raining for 2 days) He Has pull up ties on all the valves that he winterizes. With colored stripes. They are similar to zip ties but they are distinctive enough to the point where the average Homeowner Cant replace them (EASILY)! "Most valve handles have a hole in them so it works well" he says.

Hole in shut off handle:
Old 09-08-2011, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIXIECONTRACTING View Post
I blow until spitting and do each zone 2x never had a problem probably a little left in but not enough to cause freeze damage.
That's how I was taught, also, but over the years, one gets a sense of when it's enough. I don't double-blow "burp" anymore.