Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-08-2011, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Anyone running a new Hustler?

I'm kinda kicking around the idea of trading mowers next spring, just simply because I am fed up with the cheap ass catcher on the Grasshoppers. Is anyone running a new X ONE 54"? I have ran across posts where people were having trouble with it leaving strips behind, have those issues been resolved?

What about the new style 3 bag catcher? How are those working out? Seems like they change their catcher design a lot (well, as well as the mowers themselves...) Does it fill all three bags evenly? Plug up when mowing wet grass? Have a lot of blow-out under the blower when doing leaves?

I don't get to buy a new mower all that often, so I will be stuck with this for 3 to 4 years, I don't wanna end up buying something I will hate.

It seems like everyone and their dog around here run Exmarks now, and it looks like they are having great luck with them. Im guessing the Hustler is cheaper, plus I have a dealer here in town vs having to drive to Wichita (then again, that's not much of a problem since I already do that for Walkers anyway.)

I'm sure this is like the Ford/Chevy/Dodge or John Deere/CaseIH debate, but how would you rank the Hustler compared to a Lazer Z S Series, and a new style Toro?

How about the new Dixon mowers (blue version of the new Husqvarna)? Used to run Dixons back in the day, buy they kinda went down hill quick after the buyout. Are they as good as they once were? Or stay away?

As you can see, I haven't narrowed it down much. So far all I have got is that Grasshoppers out unless they come up with a new style bagger. And as much as I would like to go to all Walkers, they absolutely suck on big stuff, and I hate changing decks to side discharge.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 09-08-2011, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't have good luck with Dixon after huskavarna bought them out. They got hard to deal with after that. I have an x one 54" that I just got done mowing on about 30 minutes ago. I really liked it. Cuts great no stringers in dry thin grass. Drive arms feel really good, seems like a homerun, plenty of power, etc...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2011, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I demoed a new hustler this year but opted to get another xmark. Now my city bought two new diesels 72 inch decks - they traded in toro's and a deere - they love em. The cut that I have seen has been nice but I or they haved or did I demo the bagger. I am sure either way you would be happy.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scag would be the way to go. The bagging system they have is second to none.

Tags
bagger , exmark , hustler , x-one , ztr