Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avguy View Post
Lol....it wasn't too much for the little tractor, it was too much for little me I'd already brought in top soil, tilled and then drug a 14k sqft area in the front previously. I knew how much work that was which is why I took a different route for the back & brought in the skid steer. I spent several days working on the front & knocked out the back in one day.

Have you had a soil test done? If not you should. My soil was very very poor & I spent a couple years amending the soil before I even tried to seed.
Yes, I got a soil sample, which called for a tremendous amount of lime. I had a guy come and put lime out with a truck that fall, then I planted it the following summer. What I should have done was kept working on the soil until I got it right, but all I had was winter grass so I had to do something quick.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahammer View Post
Yes, I got a soil sample, which called for a tremendous amount of lime. I had a guy come and put lime out with a truck that fall, then I planted it the following summer. What I should have done was kept working on the soil until I got it right, but all I had was winter grass so I had to do something quick.
I was told by my extension office that it takes a couple of years for the lime to work it's way into the soil. Over a 1 year period I put down 300 bags of lime on my 2 acres. What I've discovered is that getting the soil right is 95% of the battle. I've also realized there are no quick fixes, at least for me. I'm going to get a soil sample here again pretty soon to see where I'm at. I'd be willing to bet I'm going to need more lime. We'll see.

Stay after it though......may take a couple of years but it'll be worth it in the end.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

dude, super nice job.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Grassman!.... but the credit really goes to all the professional people here on lawnsite.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Awesome work!! I've been trying to decide whether or not to keep trying fescue or go with bermuda since I've got a few patches now. What height are you cutting your bermuda? If I decide on bermuda I think I may seed some annual ryegrass for this winter until I can seed bermuda in the spring.
Stihl FC55R
Stihl BR550
Craftsman 21"
6x10 open trailer
Old 09-13-2011, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999frontier View Post
Awesome work!! I've been trying to decide whether or not to keep trying fescue or go with bermuda since I've got a few patches now. What height are you cutting your bermuda? If I decide on bermuda I think I may seed some annual ryegrass for this winter until I can seed bermuda in the spring.
I'm no expert, but your weather over there in NC is pretty much the same as ours is here in East Tennessee.......hot & dry. Before I started my renovation my intention was to replace the bermuda/weed mix I had for some type of cool season grass but after some contemplation ( and watching the existing pretty much die from lack of irrigation) I decided on the bermuda.....and boy am I glad I did. We got .2 inches of rain here the entire months of July & August. I watched pretty much most of the lawns in my area just wither up & die. My lawn was so green my neighbor asked if I was watering.

I started out the season cutting at 2" & slowly raised the height to about 3 1/2. I fed it every month & cut every 3 days. Sometimes my work schedule wouldn't allow me to cut when I needed so I would raise the deck up so I wasn't cutting more than a 1/3 of the blade.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have irrigation either, I have to drag the hoses out to water. I got slack on watering this year and I can really tell it in the fescue. Do you think it would hurt if I put some annual ryegrass out this fall and then mow it short in April and seed with bermuda in May?
Stihl FC55R
Stihl BR550
Craftsman 21"
6x10 open trailer
Old 10-30-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

AVguy, this is great! I im in the Kansas City area, and am looking to do this on the back part of my acre lot as well.

So just to verify you got your seed at Lesco, which is part of john deere landscape right? There is a place here that I can get La Prima Bermuda, but its like 20 bucks a pound. I get roughly half off due to landscape company.

Anyway I was just wondering how you are continuing to like your choice in seed? If you have any updated pics that would be appreciated.

Thanks again for this thread, its been very helpful thus far!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
AVguy, this is great! I im in the Kansas City area, and am looking to do this on the back part of my acre lot as well.

So just to verify you got your seed at Lesco, which is part of john deere landscape right? There is a place here that I can get La Prima Bermuda, but its like 20 bucks a pound. I get roughly half off due to landscape company.

Anyway I was just wondering how you are continuing to like your choice in seed? If you have any updated pics that would be appreciated.

Thanks again for this thread, its been very helpful thus far!!!
I bought Sunstar bermuda from my local JD/Lesco. It is a medium grade seed. If you look back toward the beginning of this thread you'll see some of the seed recommendations from the pros here. The Sunstar was a good choice for my needs but had I been renovating say a 1/4 or 1/2 acre lot in a subdivision I might have opted for a finer blade seed like a Yukon.

Another thing to keep in mind is the continuing costs associated with trying to maintain a large area like this. I live in the country surrounded by farm land. Where I live people don't have "lawns" lol.....they have "yards"....you know.....where you park your cars and throw stuff that came from your house. I have absolutely the best neighbors anyone could ever ask for but they look at me and my lawn just like Kevin Cosner's neighbors looked at him when he plowed his corn under in Field of Dreams....lol. I probably spend between $1000 - $1500 / year in maintenance. Good luck!

Old 10-31-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avguy View Post
I bought Sunstar bermuda from my local JD/Lesco. It is a medium grade seed. If you look back toward the beginning of this thread you'll see some of the seed recommendations from the pros here. The Sunstar was a good choice for my needs but had I been renovating say a 1/4 or 1/2 acre lot in a subdivision I might have opted for a finer blade seed like a Yukon.

Another thing to keep in mind is the continuing costs associated with trying to maintain a large area like this. I live in the country surrounded by farm land. Where I live people don't have "lawns" lol.....they have "yards"....you know.....where you park your cars and throw stuff that came from your house. I have absolutely the best neighbors anyone could ever ask for but they look at me and my lawn just like Kevin Cosner's neighbors looked at him when he plowed his corn under in Field of Dreams....lol. I probably spend between $1000 - $1500 / year in maintenance. Good luck!

I do like the looks of that for sure!!! I totally understand. I have an acre lot, so not near as big as yours! Thanks for the follow up on your seed choice. I will for sure go over to the JD store around the corner and see what they have this late spring! Just wanting to get my ducks in a row now

I love mowing and having a nice yard. Its great! Now with the acre, and no irrigation system, its impossible for me to keep enough water on it in the summer to keep it alive let alone green. So I am going to seed the bermuda along the side yard first to see what I think.

Thanks again for your help on this thread! Fantastic help, as this is almost exactly what I will be doing. And like you said a while ago, the prep work is the biggest! Soil samples and tilling and ......

Thanks again!!!