Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-09-2011, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do I get started?

I used the search bar at the top, and I couldn't find an existing thread that covers it.

How do I get started/equipment specifics

I already do lawn maintenance, so I'm not a dummy when it comes to advertising/etc. What I'm looking for are some specific materials/brands that are cost effective, yet leave a nice finish.

I'd like to start this in the spring of 2012, and I figured the setup I'm listing below would be sufficient for a start-up.

Trailer: I don't want to put a tank in the truck bed because I want something I can quickly detach and put my landscape trailer on.

1-2 250 gallon skid totes: You know, the semi-clear ones with the metal skeleton that you can load w/ a forklift. Will I need to make some sort of agitator for them? Do you think I need 2 to start or just one? I'd eventually upgrade to a metal tank. What does one weigh when fully loaded with sealer?

I have no idea what kind of sealer I should use, and I don't see many sealcoat distributers around me.

I appreciate any input/feedback you can give me

Thanks!

Gravely
Scag
Ferris
Echo
Stihl
Old 09-09-2011, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You need to see what is available in your area, sealer can weigh in from 8-15 pounds per gallon depends on how much sand you add per gallon. Have you ever seal coated before? Know what you are getting into, one mistake and you can splatter sealer all over concrete and the siding. I know in my area you can find a decent used rig that will need work, but I would take that over any plastic tank set up with no agitation. I saw on the other day that had a 10 gallon kettle for hot fill, 11/2"diaphragm pump, motor driven agitator 280 gallon tank, hose reel with 100' of hose with aluminum spray wand on a decent trailer for $2800. Look around way to many used rigs out there.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I seal my own driveway every spring, so it's not like i've never done it before. I just figure I could make better money sealing driveways in the spring and fall than doing a whole bunch of 1 time clean-ups that require more than 2 people.

Plus almost everyone in my area get's their driveway sealed, why can't it be me?

I'll look for a used rig, what I'm looking for is more of what types of sealer should I use? Sealmaster's website has over 5 I think.

Gravely
Scag
Ferris
Echo
Stihl
Old 09-13-2011, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know coal tar might get the boot in pa.. You need to talk to some guy's that are in your area and see what they say and predict for the next year.