Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-14-2011, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have the Exmark mulch kit on my 36" Metros & 52" Lazers. I use the stock mulching blades (about $14.00 each). Have to go a little slower in dense or wet grass but otherwise I've never had a problem, they have performes very well and I usually don't have to go back for a second pass.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg-Mo View Post
On the exmark the mowing height wll be with in a 1/4". We have a 30day money back if we can not make the blades work for you.
Ok, The only thing that's holding me back now is the claim that the megmo blades will last so much longer than regular blades?
I'm in central Florida, we have sand. I have a lot of yards that I cut short (2 inches) and are thin patchy grass which means the underside of my deck becomes a sand blaster if it hasn't rained in the last 24 hours, the sand eats blades for lunch. In the summer months I need to pull my blades off and sharpen them about once a week or I end up having to slow down or double cut on many yards until I do. In the growing season I go through about 8 sets of blades on my main mower, mainly because the sand eats away at the base of the lift fin on the blades until it folds back or breaks off completely.

I just wonder how the megmo blades will be any different as far as wear and holding an edge? I worry about having to spend 60 bucks plus shipping 10 or so times a year for replacement blades? Plus twice as many blades to sharpen every week doesn't appeal to me either

What makes your blades last so much longer than the blades I already use in the conditions I described?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Sponsor

Meg Mo knives

Since the meg mo knives are free swinging we do not have to follow the rules of the blades that everybody use. The steel in the meg mo knives is better then double of the steel in OEM type blades then we are rockwelled to 51 not the 20 to 40 that there blades are. With the knives being free swing they do not nick like OEM blades do. We stay sharp 8 to 10 times longer and no shock going to the bearing. We will out 3 to 5 sets of the OEM type blades so less money then from then on you just buy the knives at $4.95@.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 48" mulch kit will work best with the Exmark mulching blades.

It can mow warm season turf at low heights with a bagged appearance, in one pass with normal growth, or two to clean up small windrowing if it's tall stuff.

The higher you cut the less crisp the cut as it doesn't get as much vacuum power to stand the grass up. Above 3" it's going to leave stringers in some situations.

Floppier, less rigid grasses won't cut as cleanly as when discharging.

Overall, if it's your only mower you are going to run into situations where a mulching kit would not be the best choice from time to time. You'll have to decide for yourself if you save enough vs bagging on routine yds to justify the extra time to double/triple cut the tall ones. You'd also have to decide if the cut was what you wanted. Mulching saves me tons of time vs bagging but I mow mostly Bermuda or Zoysia at 1.25" to 2.25" and it mulches quite well.

Tags
blades , exmark , mulch kit , mulching