Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-19-2011, 12:26 AM
mallio mallio is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 50
Any blade that hits a rock will affect the balance. I have been balancing anything from mower blades to flywheels. I have customers who bring new blades to me that are not in balance. I always check the balance before sharpening. We soak, clean, inspect and sharpen, then balance all blades.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-19-2011, 01:36 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
Great to hear. Sounds like you are standing behind your products more. What about return shipping?Posted via Mobile Device
This.......
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
This.......
I am asking if I return them if I don't like them do I have to pay shipping for returning them
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Meg-Mo Meg-Mo is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sterling, Illinois
Posts: 1,020
retutn

You pay the return shipping
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-19-2011, 10:43 AM
ReddensLawnCare ReddensLawnCare is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,558
Meg-Mo: I view return shipping as a sign that a company is not fully trusting in their product. It seems like shipping would be rather expensive for all the blades needed on a 52" ztr, so it seems that the return shipping is a deterrent for buyers to not return the product, even if they are unhappy. That then makes your business look better and you believe your product is excellent because you are not getting returns, while in fact, your customers are not satisfied with your company's product.
On another note, as a representative of your company on this forum, you may want to use spell check and re-read your post before submitting. Just a suggestion. I will keep looking into the Meg-Mo system
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,985
Reddens I was just going to post something similar. Now they took the 20% restocking fee off, it seems they beloved in their product 70%. I would think they would want to be in the 100% area.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-19-2011, 10:57 AM
ReddensLawnCare ReddensLawnCare is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
Reddens I was just going to post something similar. Now they took the 20% restocking fee off, it seems they beloved in their product 70%. I would think they would want to be in the 100% area.
Posted via Mobile Device
What do we know...we are just landscapers...ha. I had to throw it out there
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
I don't know who you're trying to fool here but I can tell you, what you say is totally not true. There is no way centrifugal force keeps them balanced. All that does is keep them straight out from center. It has nothing to do with the balance. I think there's a reason why nobody uses them.
From what I understand of physics (I'm certainly no expert), I agree that it is not possible for them to balance themselves by centrifugal force because the blade system is rigidly mounted to the spindle. If it were not a rigid mount, then it would be possible for the system to self balance by rotating around it's mass center axis. But that is not possible when connected to rigid shaft and bearing.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
I am asking if I return them if I don't like them do I have to pay shipping for returning them
Posted via Mobile Device
No, I knew that Jim. I was asking the same thing as you "This......." regarding the return shiping.

We've (you and I) talked about the return shipping here before, and we both thought it was a big deterrent to trying them out.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,827
I look at off the wall technology like this. If it was worth it, a major manufacturer would have approached them with a bag of money for the rights. Since nobody else has a similar design I would assume it isn't a marketable design.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 AM.

Page generated in 0.07611 seconds with 10 queries